Installing new toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Our old flooring in the bathroom was vinyl, but now we're having tiles installed.

The tile guy installed Hardiboard on the floor over the subflooring, and then of course the tiles go on top of this which brings me to the question...

Does all this buildup cause problems when trying to install a toilet? It's the *gasp* American Standard Cadet toilet.

Any plumbers around to give advice? Please let me know what we need to do before install.

Appreciate it the help.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It can cause a problem with any brand toilet. The flange should rest on top of the finished floor, be solvent welded into the closet flange, and screwed through the flooring into the sub floor. If the flange isn't raised to finished floor level, it is difficult or impossible for the wax ring to seal the toilet/flange connection and you can have both a water leak and sewer gas. It is possible to use rings that can build the flange height, but the best thing to do is to raise the entire drain. That of course is considerably more work.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Gary Swart said:
It can cause a problem with any brand toilet. The flange should rest on top of the finished floor, be solvent welded into the closet flange, and screwed through the flooring into the sub floor. If the flange isn't raised to finished floor level, it is difficult or impossible for the wax ring to seal the toilet/flange connection and you can have both a water leak and sewer gas. It is possible to use rings that can build the flange height, but the best thing to do is to raise the entire drain. That of course is considerably more work.

Oh dear. Can this be done by homeowners or do you recommend a professional?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes you can solve the problem with two wax rings. If two of the ones with the plastic horn will fit (horn pointed down) it should have the effect of sealing the connection with the extra height.

After you get it aligned (you may need longer bolts, maybe not) level and secure the toilet to the floor with caulking so it won't move and break the wax joint.

If you need leveling shims it is best to get them in place before you set the toilet so you don't have to raise the toilet after it is down, which risks breaking the seal.

HoneySuckle

Reaction score
Thanks Bob and Gary.

I will let you all know how this works out. The tiles haven't been laid yet, but I wanted to plan ahead.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I would lift the flange. You could end up with leaks if you don't.
I am not a big fan of caulking the toilet to the floor because when the toilet leaks it will only go down rather than out around the bowl so you can see it.

I have pulled a few toilets that were caulked to the floor and under the toilet was nothing but rot and mold. This may not have happened if the home owners seen the water coming out from under the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks