Installing new shower arm

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by JohnBauder, Jun 23, 2012.

1. JohnBauder

JohnBauder New Member

When I screwed in my new shower arm as far as I can by hand it points up at about 3 o'clock rather than down at 6 o'clock. I have tried taking it out and starting over several times but each time it catches the threas in the same spot. Can I tighten it that far (about 90 degrees) without breaking something? What tool should I use. Or is there another way to start it?
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

What did you end up putting on the threads? It needs either pipe dope or tape (or both); if not, it will leak. Unless it actually bottomed, yes, you can turn it another 180-degrees. If you used tape on the threads, you could try wrapping another layer or two on the threads, and that would cause it to tighten up at a different point. The threads are tapered, and if made properly (and that isn't a given!), you can normally get at least another 1/2 turn out of it. Because it is bent, normally, that lever is all you need to tighten things.
  3. JohnBauder

JohnBauder New Member

Thanks Jim. I used #5 pipe dope. I just need a quarter turn but I was twisting hard - by hand but using the bend. I'm 65 and not as strong as I used to be so maybe there is some move left in it. Would you put a pipe wrench on it for the last 90 degrees?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A pipe wrench will scratch it all up, so no. You could stick a large screwdriver in the end and the increased length of the lever may be enough. Or, if you use tape, additional layers will make it seat at a different angle.
  5. JohnBauder

JohnBauder New Member

OK Thanks Jim. I am going to try that.
  6. JohnBauder

JohnBauder New Member

It worked! Thanks a lot!