Installing new shower arm

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnBauder

Reaction score
When I screwed in my new shower arm as far as I can by hand it points up at about 3 o'clock rather than down at 6 o'clock. I have tried taking it out and starting over several times but each time it catches the threas in the same spot. Can I tighten it that far (about 90 degrees) without breaking something? What tool should I use. Or is there another way to start it?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What did you end up putting on the threads? It needs either pipe dope or tape (or both); if not, it will leak. Unless it actually bottomed, yes, you can turn it another 180-degrees. If you used tape on the threads, you could try wrapping another layer or two on the threads, and that would cause it to tighten up at a different point. The threads are tapered, and if made properly (and that isn't a given!), you can normally get at least another 1/2 turn out of it. Because it is bent, normally, that lever is all you need to tighten things.

JohnBauder

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I used #5 pipe dope. I just need a quarter turn but I was twisting hard - by hand but using the bend. I'm 65 and not as strong as I used to be so maybe there is some move left in it. Would you put a pipe wrench on it for the last 90 degrees?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A pipe wrench will scratch it all up, so no. You could stick a large screwdriver in the end and the increased length of the lever may be enough. Or, if you use tape, additional layers will make it seat at a different angle.

shower-arm-terrylove-01.jpg

screwdriver-shower-arm-leverage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks