Installing new Phoenix water heater, expansion tank too?

Users who are viewing this thread

jbiddle

Reaction score
I'm about to have a contractor replace my standard 50 gal hot water heater with a high efficiency tank type (HTP Phoenix LD 50 gal) and I'd rather decide what I want installed instead of leaving it up to him (of course his input will be considered). Last year I replaced replaced my HVAC with a high efficiency model and my water heater is now orphaned on the stack. My current water system does not have either a mixing valve or an expansion tank and I'm thinking of having both installed with the replacement. Here is my water meter; I think the device on the output is a residential dual check?

IMG_0687.JPG

Would the Caleffi mixing valve with gauge and checks (#52519AC) model be a good choice. My intent is to set the water heater at 140 and the mixing valve at 120. If it matters, I want to leave open the possibility of adding a recirculating system in the future.

Also, my dishwasher has it's own heating element and my high efficiency washer has a heater for sanitizing (mostly I wash with cold or warm water) so I don't think I'll need to pipe any hot water directly from the heater, do you?

Is the Therm-X-Trol ST-5 a good choice ? My water pressure is at 65psi now but I've seen it fluctuate from 45psi to 80psi over the years.

Is there any benefit to installing the water heater on a riser (basement location)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

jbiddle

Reaction score
You're right, it is a coupling. I'll ask the plumbing inspector on Monday what if any check will be required because of the rework.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Codes change, so it's hard to specify what may be required for that. If you do have a closed water system, and even if you don't now, the water utility company may install one some time in the future, an ET is not a bad thing to have, and a tempering valve is a good safety device to have.

But, where I live, you are required install a vacuum breaker, a mixing valve, and an expansion tank to pass code for any new WH install.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not familiar with what's out there, but that seems like it would be fine. Note, while code is sometimes nearsighted, in reality, unless the tank is up fairly high (some people put them in the attic), it is not likely that a vacuum breaker would be needed to help protect the tank from damage. It won't hurt, and it's code where I live, but it's hard to cause damage when it is say in the basement, and the drain is right there...there's little height to create a significant suction. The tanks are designed to handle decent pressure, but not vacuum.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might need a "Dual Check Valve" at the meter:
http://www.homedepot.com/s/DualCheck%20Valve?NCNI-5

The anti siphon vacuum breaker in your link does not prevent back pressure it only prevents back siphonage.

This type of Vacuum Relief Valve is used on tanks such as hot water heaters:
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Zurn-34-VR10XL-3-4-VR10-Vacuum-Relief-Valve-MNPT-Lead-Free
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Watts-0556031-3-4-LFN36M1-Lead-Free-Water-Service-Vacuum-Relief-Valve?gclid=CL7FgZzrvssCFdU7gQodp4IGuA

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks