Installing mosaic tile with a linear drain - SICIS ( Colibri Mosaic Collection)

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Apr 12, 2012.

1. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Often the desire to use a linear drain is stemmed from the need or want of large format tile in a shower floor renovation. But they work equally as well with smaller tile and can offer up a safer floor for the end user.

This tile is something special and beyond the grasp of most common folk. At more than $200 per square foot it is a hefty price tag for your next shower renovation.

This shower was prepared for tile by me and my crew but the skill set needed to install this master piece we left to the hands of the master setters. It is a wonderful effect and I can not wait to see it grouted.

The tile is produced by SICIS and is part of the Colibri Mosaic Collection. This pattern the Cheviot White 2012-2032.

If you look close you can see that we installed the drain not tight to the back wall. This was planned since the designer specified a rolled corner and the floor to wall transition. If you look closer still you can see that the setter cut some of these tiles to keep the grout lines running straight. This is a very high skilled install wit hepoxy thin-sets and grouts.

The preperation for this shower was shower package from Mapei & Noble Company featuring Noble Seal TS on the floor and curb and Aqua Defense on the walls.

The shower floor has a 1/4" per foot slope and back wall was floated out to allow the mosaic tile to match flush with the marble outside the shower.

I love working with master tile setters - I'm glad the boys didn't complain about my prep work - and we have already been given the green light for 7 more showers with the same builder.

Take a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JW

www.No-Curb.com - my blog site on Barrier Free, No Curb, No Dam and Hobless Showers
    (604) 506-6792 jfrwhipple@gmail.com
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014 at 5:07 AM
  2. johnfrwhipple

3. johnfrwhipple

Sicis - The Art Factory (http://www.sicis.com/)

This shower was once a tiny 32" x 32" shower. We expanded it to 36" x 60" and installed a linear shower drain with tile insert top over the existing Watts baby Blue drain.

When installing mosaic tile often slight cuts are placed into the mesh backer to fine tune. It this shower we have a mortar bed overtop of a liner and a waterproof wall that was covered with mortar mix. This process allows for slight cuts without the fear of slicing the waterproof membrane.

I wonderful project and I'm glad I got to waterproof it all and help install the linear drains.

For more tile options check out their website here; http://www.sicis.com/ or email the North American rep amy@sicisna.com

JW
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. johnfrwhipple

ANSI Spec A137.2 Glass tile installation specifications for showers and tubs

There is a new ANSI standard coming our way which will help specify the proper installation of glass tiles. Most glass tile suppliers I've contacted require the use of a modified thin-set for proper installation. The TCNA requires that the manufacture of the tile specify the type of setting material. Make sure you check.

Most waterproofing membranes allow for the use of either modified or un-modified thinset, in fact I think Schluter is the only one that does not allow modified thin-sets. If you find yourself debating over what tile will go in on your next project make sure your waterproofing membrane allows both types of setting materials. If you already have Kerdi installed consider using Ardex's setting materials overtop. Ardex has designed their products to work with Kerdi in Germany and offer up a warranty even if you use their modified products. Ardex is the only company doing this other than I think FlexTile here in Vancouver.

The new ANSI Spec A137.2 will come into effect this Spring of 2012. The spec will outline the differences between glass tile and outline the proper installation techniques.

Here is a link to some new material on the subject. The article was written by Ryan Marino http://www.tilemagonline.com/Articles/Feature_Article/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000001167450

JW

www.No-Curb.com - my blog site on Barrier Free, No Curb, No Dam and Hobless Showers
    (604) 506-6792 jfrwhipple@gmail.com
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014 at 5:06 AM