Installing Mortared Shower Pan

Users who are viewing this thread

kaguilar

Reaction score
I've recently decided to update small bathroom in my house. So, I've demolished the mortared shower and a floor pan (original floor pan not mortared; however walls were mortared). I am going to follow the steps from a website I found to install a mortared shower pan.

http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

My water supply lines run up from the basement in between the studs of my shower. So, this poses a challenge to installing the 2X10 blocking boards. Is there an easy way to do this without moving the supply lines? I can move the supply lines, but I was wondering is there was an easier way. Also, I think the only way to install the blocking boards is to toenail the blocking board since the studs are already installed. Any other suggestions?

Also, is it required (construction codes...?) to use pressure treated lumber in a shower? I don't think the lumber in the shower currently is so I would have to tear out the exist studs and replace with new.

Pictures attached for your viewing pleasure. Thanks for any suggestions/recommendations.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've not visited that website, so can't comment on the accuracy or code compliance of their instructions. I can vouch for www.johnbridge.com. You may want to check that site out and compare - their instructions abide by the Tile Council of America (TCA) which is the basis for the specs for most codes in the USA related to tile and showers. In addition to the blocking, you often want to notch the studs on the bottom part to allow for the thickness of the folds in the liner (assuming you do that type of pan construction).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks