Installing Moen A725 Drop Ell

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by seaneys, Feb 17, 2008.

1. seaneys

seaneys New Member

Hello,

I've checked Moen's web site for this, but do not see the answer..

I am installing a Moen A725 Drop Ell (seems like their standard). It accepts a 1/2" NPT Male.

Does anyone know if the Male connection should be flush with the finished wall? I do not see any documentation that indicates the depth of the connection. I scoured their web site.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  2. krow

krow Plumber

If I recall the threads should sit 3/8" outside the tile surface. Each manufacturer has a slightly different measurement.

To be sure: What I usually do, I install a 1/2 copper x 1/2" fip wingback 90 fastened to a backing inside the wall. (similar to the shower arm 90). Once the tile surface is established, I install the A725 with a brass nipple to accomadate the distance needed for a flush mount.
  3. seaneys

seaneys New Member

Do you use the same trick for the body jets? My only fear would be a leak in the wall, but I could always pressure test after the drop Ell was installed.d

Thanks!
    Steve
  4. krow

krow Plumber

Always the same thing. I always found that each contractor would finish their walls with different material thicknesses. The difference would be from standard 1/4" tile to 3/4" granite. Allow at least 3/8" for threads for each side . Total 3/4"-7/8"

Doing it the way I mentioned, you can adjust the lenghts of the nipples as you see fit. Contractors or clients may have a change of heart in materials used and the plumber would never get notified of the changes until the project was ready for finishing. (then its too late.)