Installing Korky flapper

Users who are viewing this thread

roukan

Reaction score
I thought this would be very easy, but I was wrong.

The problem I am having is that I have to hold down the handle for it to flush. If I do not hold it down, the flapper closes right away, and if I hold it down for a half a second, the flapper will stay open to flush only about half the normal amount of water. This also causes the toilet bowl to have no water after a flush is completed.

I have tried adjusting both the float as well as the length above the float and wasted many gallons of water testing the adjustments, but nothing seems to solve the problem.

Any suggestions of what could solve the problem? The old flapper did have a float as well, but I have considered removing it completely, but not sure how easy it is to get back on, if that is not the problem.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
korky_trim_flapper.jpg

You may need to trim out the center of the flapper material if you have the mounting arms. It needs to be able to pivot freely on those arms.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it's working like it is supposed to. Low flow toilets do not use all of the water in the tank. The flapper is designed to close very quickly. Low flow toilets do not function like the old water hogs of yore.

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you try sliding the white float lower? Does the float open sufficiently when you trip the lever? If not, perhaps connecting the chain to the end of the actuator rod will help. Make sure the chain is not too loose.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A flapper valve has to be matched to the flush volume of the toilet. SOme of them use calibrated holes, or weights to keep them open the proper amount of time to produce a correct flush for that toilet. If you do not have the proper flapper valve for your toilet design, there isn't much you can do about it to make it work properly.

So, does the packaging on the flapper valve you bought say it is compatible with the toilet you have?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Tell us the toilet model or shoot us a picture of the inside of the tank and we'll help you make sure it's the right flapper and you're putting it in right.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
a picture of the inside of your tank will tell us if you have assembled it correctly. If you remove the float the flapper will close immediately.

gatorback

Constructive comments are appreciated
Reaction score
I have a similar problem with the upstairs toilet. When I switched to a different brand /model of flapper that seemed to overcome agressive closing flapper. I think that it has to do with two opposing forces: buoyancy vs the pressure caused by the height of the water.

Given that a flapper is relatively inexpensive and easy to change out, this might be an easy test to try: please post your results.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks