Installing Kohler Shower Drain Gasket

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by sproksch, May 28, 2011.

1. sproksch

sproksch New Member

Hello,

I have a Kohler K-9132 shower drain I'm trying to install. The last step is to install the big gasket that makes the seal between the drain housing and drain pipe. I got this gasket about 3/4 of the way inserted, still have about a half an inch to go and it will not move anymore. The whole "soapy water lubricant" thing in the instructions didn't seem to help much. I've tried working it with a wood shim, but I've gotten as far as she'll go it seems.

Any advice? Is there enough in there for a good seal and I can just trim off the last half inch?

Thanks much!
    Steve
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I use my hammer and lead calking irons to drive it down. A very blunt screwdriver or piece of narrow flat metal may also work.
  3. sproksch

sproksch New Member

Thanks - I'll give that a try!
  4. sproksch

sproksch New Member

Well, still no-go. The blunt screwdriver would penetrate the gasket; tried a square nail, but the gasket would just absorb the hammer blows and bounce back. Pushing on it just compresses the top of the gasket, making it thicker and even more impossible to push in.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to take my chances and if it leaks, then I'll by a drain that has some kind of a threaded retainer that pushes the gasket in. Didn't think I'd have to worry about this sort of thing buying a Kohler drain. Customer service there didn't have any ideas other than what was in the instructions.

thanks anyway!
    Steve
  5. hj

You may have a gasket for SV cast iron pipe, rather than plastic. You also might just need a bigger hammer.
  6. sproksch

sproksch New Member

Cool thanks, I'll check that out! Didn't know there could be different types of gaskets...
  7. hj

When the o.d. is larger, the gasket has to be thinner, and vice versa. A copper pipe gasket would be a lot thicker than one for galvanized or cast iron.