Installing Kohler Shower Drain Gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Sproksch

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Kohler K-9132 shower drain I'm trying to install. The last step is to install the big gasket that makes the seal between the drain housing and drain pipe. I got this gasket about 3/4 of the way inserted, still have about a half an inch to go and it will not move anymore. The whole "soapy water lubricant" thing in the instructions didn't seem to help much. I've tried working it with a wood shim, but I've gotten as far as she'll go it seems.

Any advice? Is there enough in there for a good seal and I can just trim off the last half inch?

Thanks much!
Steve

Sproksch

Reaction score
Well, still no-go. The blunt screwdriver would penetrate the gasket; tried a square nail, but the gasket would just absorb the hammer blows and bounce back. Pushing on it just compresses the top of the gasket, making it thicker and even more impossible to push in.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to take my chances and if it leaks, then I'll by a drain that has some kind of a threaded retainer that pushes the gasket in. Didn't think I'd have to worry about this sort of thing buying a Kohler drain. Customer service there didn't have any ideas other than what was in the instructions.

thanks anyway!
Steve

Sproksch

Reaction score
Cool thanks, I'll check that out! Didn't know there could be different types of gaskets...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When the o.d. is larger, the gasket has to be thinner, and vice versa. A copper pipe gasket would be a lot thicker than one for galvanized or cast iron.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks