Installing Kitchen faucet into single hole granite.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by thinkly, Jun 3, 2013.

1. thinkly

thinkly New Member

I am getting ready to install a new Moen faucet into our granite counter top. The faucet comes with a plastic (looks like to me) gasket that sits between the faucet and the counter. The instructions say nothing about using putty or silicone, they just show the gasket. I called Moen and talked to a gal that said not to use anything but the gasket but I'm not sure where she pulled the answer out of.

Should I follow her advice or am I headed for trouble?

Here is a link to the faucet install video: http://www.moen.com/flv-embed?src=/shared/videos/kitchen_faucet_install.mp4&width=640&height=360
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The faucet normally would not require any additional sealing. The drain is what gets silicone or plumber's putty.
  3. thinkly

thinkly New Member

I understand that. I have just never installed a faucet without some form of sealant around the housing/counter interface.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

When a plastic or nylon seal is provided, I use that. I rarely would consider using putty, and not on granite anyway.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

sealant

These days, most faucets come with a seal of some kind so you do not need any additional silicone or putty.
  6. AlexLinus

AlexLinus New Member

Yeah, modern day faucets already come with ready to install seals with them, hence no need to worry about that. Yeah people tend to feel skeptic about it when they use it for the first time (telling this from my personal experience) but they turn out to be pretty well. Go ahead, do that pending job and have your peace of mind. I recently installed new kitchen cabinets that I purchased online from the rta store and had a very good experience doing the task which removed most of my beliefs about home improvements. Faucets are a little tricky thing but believe me it's easier done than said.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013