Installing Grundfos recirc pump on Power Vent 2 Rheem 83 gal WH

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by orphiekid, Dec 1, 2012.

1. orphiekid

orphiekid New Member

I want to install a Grundfos recirc pump on a 83 gal water heater that has a power vent on it. The pump would be installed on the hot water side and be plugged into a 110v outlet. My main question is would I have to shut down the power vent system (unplug it) and would something have to be reset when I am finished installing the pump. I would also install the manifold under the sink the longest distance from the heater. The pump has a 10' cord but the nearest double outlet is more than 10' away. Can I replace the single 110v outlet that provides power to the power vent with a double outlet so that I have power available for the recirc pump. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Power goes on and off anyway. If you need to unplug the water heater and replug, you're fine.
    Powering both with the same outlet would be fine.
  3. orphiekid

orphiekid New Member

Should I shut off the gas supply while installing the pump since I will have to drain the hot water pipes per Grundfos instructions. Thanks
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you are installing the pump above the water heater, you can leave the water in the tank. You can turn the pilot down to the vacation setting while you are working.
  5. orphiekid

orphiekid New Member

Thanks a million. Really appreciate the help.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

From your description, you appear to be installing a Grudfos "Comfort system", and if so the pump HAS to connect to the piping on top of the tank so almost nothing has to be drained. The only reason to turn off the switch on the control is so the heater does not start while you are working next to the "chimney". You change to a "duplex" receptacle or use a "grounded triple tap" into your single one with the heater and pump plugged into it.