installing Gerber Avalanche toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob-O

Reaction score
Hello everybody.
I just installed a Gerber Avalanche toilet, a two-piece unit. There are 2 rubber pads that are supposed to be placed between the tank and bowl at the very rear of the unit "to prevent china-to-china contact" according to the instructions. However, when tightening the nuts to draw the tank down tight, the front of the tank touches the bowl when there is still about 1/8" of space between the rear of the tank and the rubber pads. According to the instructions, there are supposed to be only three points of contact: the rubber pads and the flush valve washer. But the tank touches the bowl long before it touches the rubber pads.
I thought maybe since this toilet has a 10" rough-in that it needed to be installed differently so I put the pads where the front of the tank touches the bowl. I tightened it up and the toilet works great with no leaking. However, if you sit down and lean back, the tank really flexes backward! Obviously the pads go at the back, unfortunately the tank can't go down far enough to touch them without touching the bowl first.
Anybody have any idea how to deal with this?
Thanks

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yep. Loosen the bolts, hold the tank vertical with your one hand while you tighten the bolts bit by bit, alternating location, slooooooowwwwwwwly, and correcting the trajectory of the tank as you tighten down. You can get it so it works as you expect it should. Sometimes it takes a few tries the first time to get it exactly vertical.

SamC

Reaction score
I agree with wjcandee. Loosen the tank completely. There is a range of angles that the tank will seat on the flush valve washer. If you shift the bottom of the tank forward, the top will tilt back. Likewise if you shift the bottom of the tank back, the top will tilt forward. Whatever angle the tank starts at, it will tend to follow as the bolts are tightened. So put a square on the bowl, and slide the bottom of the tank forward and back until the tank rests exactly perpendicular to the bowl on its own, then tighten the bolts little by little, keeping an eye on the angle. You will get your points of contact.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks