Installing garage sink from water heater lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimmy Mooney

Reaction score
I recently had a tankless water heater installed on the outside wall of my attached garage. They re-ran the hot and supply lines from the old water heater closet in another part of the garage through the attic to the new spot on the outside wall.

I'd like to install a utility sink inside the garage on the wall right near the tankless heater. I plan on tying the drain into the washing machine drain that is also on that wall.

I've drawn a picture of the setup (this is like looking top-down at it - with blue/red showing the pipes coming from inside the wall):

http://i.imgur.com/9f9qqOx.jpg

Note: the washer supply lines do not connect to the new PEX water heater lines directly - they just happen to be in close proximity but come up from the concrete slab.

My questions are:

• Is it possible (and permissable) to T off of the hot output, and cold supply, that the tankless heater uses for my hot and cold water for my utility sink? The drywall is already out, and the PEX is exposed there, which would make it really easy. I could make a cut and T off of both lines, go through a couple wall studs, and hook into where I want my utility sink. I'm thinking this would be just fine.
  • Any special equipment or method I should use to tie into the washer drain line? Drains all go through my slab, so there is no adding a new drain to the system. The drain is fully vented already from the washer. If I tied into the drain below the vent I should be fine right?

Thanks for your help!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Where I am, the sink drain and wet vent would need to be 2", which would require replacing the existing laundry sanitary tee.
As a matter of personal preference, I would extend the laundry supplies and standpipe so that it is accessible when the machine is in front of it.

Jimmy Mooney

Reaction score
Fair points - but where should I Tie in the sink drain and depending on where, does the sink need a trap too?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I do not know which plumbing code you fall under, but I know that if you are adding a fixture to an existing plumbing system, it will require a permit and inspection almost anywhere in the U.S.
My plumbing code allows the laundry tray connection over the washer drain connection via a vertical wet vent. Some places do not allow the wet vent, so the fixtures would require individual vents which could be tied together once they are at least 42" above the floor. Every fixture must have it's own trap to prevent sewer gas from coming back in.

Given the nature of your questions, you might consider having a conversation with your local plumbing inspector. Some of them are better than others, but more often than not they will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks