Installing flooring & toilet flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by lucgallant, Sep 11, 2011.

1. lucgallant

lucgallant New Member

Hi everyone,

looking to get an opinion on something that most of you guys will probably deem a no brainer. I've had to pour self leveling concrete in my bathroom to get things level and this has caused the top of the toilet flange to be level with the concrete. I'm going to be putting in flange extenders to get the proper height. I'm just putting in some flooring now (glueless vinyl). My question is, do I cut the vinyl around the flange and make sure that it is not between the existing flange and the extensions, or do I need to compress the flooring between both flanges?

I would do the first option but I want to bounce it off the pros. Thanks!

Luc
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Cut the flooring around the flange. Also be sure the flange is screwed down to the floor.

John
  3. lucgallant

lucgallant New Member

Hi there,

do you mean the flange extensions screwed into the existing flange/concrete?
  4. pdhawthorne

pdhawthorne In the Trades

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Ideally, the flange would be removed and reinstalled on TOP of the finished floor. But, when adding extension ring(s), you need a good seal to the flange, and the flooring would be a leak path, so do not sandwich it between the ring and the flange.
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

If the existing flange is well secured to the floor, securing the extension to the existing flange would be adequate. You might want to get new bolts that have not been cut to length so that they can engage the existing flange and not just the extension.
  7. lucgallant

lucgallant New Member

Ok, thanks everyone, this helps a lot.

The instructions for the extensions say to use silicone to seal all the extensions to the base flange, is that method generally accepted or should I use another method?

Luc
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Follow the manufacturer's instructions...clean things off as well as you can first - silicon won't stick to wax, for example, and rust isn't a great idea, wire brush helps there.