Installing faucet on new granite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Thinkly

Reaction score
We are having new granite tops installed. I have a new single hole faucet. I have read that plumbers putty stains granite, however putty is all I have ever used. Should I be concerned?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some faucets come with a gasket that requires no plumber's putty at all. There are some types of plumber's putty that are listed as no-stain (i.e., they don't have oil in them). Best to test on a scrap first. Some granite is so dense that it's pretty impervious to pretty much anything, some can easily be stained.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are some types of plumber's putty that are listed as no-stain...

I made the mistake of actually believing that and ended up with a real problem. I had to remove the faucet and make up a poultice to draw out the stain.

Testing on a scrap may or may not work depending on how long you wait. My stain took a long time to appear.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks