Installing Elongated Toilet Where Round Is

Users who are viewing this thread

James (Mo)

Reaction score
Recently we remodeled our bathroom in an older house. We put down a ceramic tile floor over hardi backer board. We have a small area for the toilet so we bought a Kohler Cimarron. Not a bad flush, no problem there. But the seat is terrible, it is basically snapped together with some little plastic snaps to the bolts, allowing it to shift easilly. Further, the water is to close to the toilet seat causing all the male users some uncomfortable experiences lol. So we have decided we're through with the Kohler after about a month and a half. Researching, we decided that we'd like to install an elongated Toto Ultramax II. We're going to have to buy this online. So a couple of questions: 1) the handyman who installed the round toilet had to use some type of flange because the new flooring added about 3/4" in height from the backer board and the porcelain tile. We're wondering whether replace a round toilet with an elongated toilet is going to cause any issues? 2) We also wonder how high that water level is in the Toto, is it going to cause our male users any issues while seated? 3) The Toto will have to fit in an area that is 27" wide X 40.5 " deep. It's not actually a square enclosure, so the width expands. But we're somewhat concerned about the depth. We know the Toto is 28.3", but it's an oblong type of shape. Is our 40.5" depth going to be sufficient to comfortably allow folks to sit on the toilet?

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. You can deal with it. If he actually raised the flange, then that is taken care of. If he used some method to allow dealing with a flange that is a half inch below the floor surface you can deal with it.

2. My Vespin II has the water level at 5-1/2 lower than the rim-- even more from the seat. That is dual cyclone. Not the same as yours, but it is a data point. I used the Vespin II because had to adapt to a non-standard rough in distance.

3. Figure that the toilet sits 3/4 from the wall. Add that to the toilet depth, and compare that to the present toilet. You can contrast how much space you will have. Actually, it's better than that. With elongated, you sit farther back relative to the middle of the opening. So there will probably not be a lot of net knee and toe space difference.

If your current toilet accepts a standard toilet seat, you might consider getting a BEMIS STA-TITE Round Closed Front Toilet Seat. It is good at not allowing the seat to shift easily. If you want a new toilet, go for it. The seat could let you postpone the action getting rid of the shifting seat in the process.

Toto Promenade is a little shorter than other elongated toilets. It is a 2-piece, and it has a style that may or may not appeal to you.
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst424ef.pdf

Note that https://terrylove.com/pdf/ms604-specs.pdf is the page for the Ultramax II. It has slightly different dimensions than what you cited.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
First, what the distance from the top of the bowl, and the water level of what you have?
So we can compare the potential difference.

An elongated bowl positions you in the same location as a round for legroom, but gives you more room in front of the bowl for the user.

James (Mo)

Reaction score
From the top of the bowl to the water measured from the center is 5 1/4". Thanks for all the help.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Recently we remodeled our bathroom in an older house. We put down a ceramic tile floor over hardi backer board. We have a small area for the toilet so we bought a Kohler Cimarron. Not a bad flush, no problem there. But the seat is terrible, it is basically snapped together with some little plastic snaps to the bolts, allowing it to shift easilly. Further, the water is to close to the toilet seat causing all the male users some uncomfortable experiences lol. So we have decided we're through with the Kohler after about a month and a half. Researching, we decided that we'd like to install an elongated Toto Ultramax II. We're going to have to buy this online. So a couple of questions: 1) the handyman who installed the round toilet had to use some type of flange because the new flooring added about 3/4" in height from the backer board and the porcelain tile. We're wondering whether replace a round toilet with an elongated toilet is going to cause any issues? 2) We also wonder how high that water level is in the Toto, is it going to cause our male users any issues while seated? 3) The Toto will have to fit in an area that is 27" wide X 40.5 " deep. It's not actually a square enclosure, so the width expands. But we're somewhat concerned about the depth. We know the Toto is 28.3", but it's an oblong type of shape. Is our 40.5" depth going to be sufficient to comfortably allow folks to sit on the toilet?

Thanks for any help you folks can provide.
I'm wondering about overall dimensions. I thought code required a minimum of 15" on each side of the toilet centerline and at least 21" from the front of the toilet to the vertical surface (wall or cabinet front) it was facing. Did you get that approved by your inspector, or didn't you bother with a remodel permit?

James (Mo)

Reaction score
I'm wondering about overall dimensions. I thought code required a minimum of 15" on each side of the toilet centerline and at least 21" from the front of the toilet to the vertical surface (wall or cabinet front) it was facing. Did you get that approved by your inspector, or didn't you bother with a remodel permit?

I don't know what the code requires. We didn't get a permit. I'll take your word for it. It would all be problematical for this house though. The house was built in 1880. It's a small bathroom as is typical for many of these older homes. This was the bathroom layout when we bought it. When I say "remodel" what I'm referring to is that we tiled the floor, replaced one of those old cast iron tubs with a new shower, painted, and replaced the toilet. The toilet is located in a small alcove type of area, the back part of which is 27" (about 3" narrower than your numbers). The front part of the alcove opens up and the size expands to 36". Depth from the back of the alcove to a small 6" wide wall is 40", but just for that 6", it opens up to about 7 1/2', which is the width of the bathroom. When you have a small bathroom, you deal with what you have.
Any idea on what the typical distance from the water to the top of the bowl is on a Toto Ultramax II?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Not sure what your water to top of bowl question means... And what you think the significance of the distance is...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks