Installing coupling/pipe/bend in a tight space

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by nc8861, Aug 21, 2008.

1. nc8861

nc8861 New Member

I'm replacing a closet bend and a small section of 3" pipe going out to the main stack. My bend currently comes right up against a joist. So I don't really have much clearance on that end - and of course I don't have any clearance on the stack end. I have to cut the current stuff out, install a coupling, section of new pipe, then the bend (the bend has to come up in the same spot). So how do I get the same length/measurements in a space with no clearance? It's not like I can bend the coupling or pipe.

On another board it was suggested that I use a shielded coupling that tightens down with screws. I'd really like to avoid anything but ABS + cement, as I don't want my toilet "stuff" going through a non-cemented joint. Is there any magical way to do this?

[​IMG]
    Is there any magical way to do this?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2008
  2. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Tight Space

Yes Call A Plumber ! ! !
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

At this point, I like the shielded coupling.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

How about a repair coupling?
  5. kordts

kordts In the Trades

Get a pipeshredder or rambit and cleanout the hub of the tee on the stack and then repipe.
  6. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

Is there enough 3" pipe coming out of the tee on the main stack for you to glue on a 45? You might be able to replace that closet bend with two 45s to make a connection to the flange.