Installing code-compliant 2 handle shower faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Bellala

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've looked at the debates about replacing 2 handle shower faucets. It sounds like with scald and pressure controls, it is possible to be code compliant with my 2 handles. Can anyone walk me through the hardware that would be needed for this? :) :) :)

Thanks!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, there are multiple 2-handle systems that are compliant, but the two handles control volume and the other temperature. Some are concentric, some are separated.

You can buy a stand-alone pressure balance valve. to get the temperature limiting, you'd need to add a tempering valve. Both would require an access panel for maintenance.

Tempering valve for the hot side.

tempering-valve-tub-terrylove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bellala

Reaction score
Thanks--will look at a Moentrol. I have hired a license plumber. Talked to permits--because I'm only replacing plumbing (not bathtub), I can replace the 2 handle valve with another 2 handle valve. I would like to set it up with temp on one side and pressure on the other. How do I do that? IT looks like my only hardware roughin options are 2 handle shower/tub combos that have Hot/Cold separate and add an after market pressure balance piece.

Is there a way to have temp on one side and pressure on the other (and might it actually be up to codes???)

Bellala

Reaction score
Sorry Jadnashua--I overlooked your comment. Can you direct me to some? I'm having trouble finding any (or maybe I'm just misunderstanding!)

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks--will look at a Moentrol. I have hired a license plumber. Talked to permits--because I'm only replacing plumbing (not bathtub), I can replace the 2 handle valve with another 2 handle valve. I would like to set it up with temp on one side and pressure on the other. How do I do that? IT looks like my only hardware roughin options are 2 handle shower/tub combos that have Hot/Cold separate and add an after market pressure balance piece.

Is there a way to have temp on one side and pressure on the other (and might it actually be up to codes???)

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
A good service /repair plumber can install MOENTROL. (not those Postitemp crap which made by same company ) in place with remodeling plate to cover the excess opening. See if I can find those pictures I did recently. .

Jadnashua

Reaction score

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most users, when they specify a "two handle valve" are referring to two SEPARATE handles, usually 8" apart, NOT a valve with two "coaxial" handles. They need a remote pressure balancing unit installed on the supply lines, but NOT necessarily a thermostatic controller.

Bellala

Reaction score
Yes! HJ you are correct. 2 Separate Handles 8" apart as installed in the 50's (and many other decades I'm sure). The only reason I was looking at a thermostatic controller was because I would like to have one handle with pressure and one with temp. I've found remote pressure balancing units such as this one: https://pro.hansgrohe-usa.com/articledetail-in-line-pressure-balance-valve-13418181.html

that look like they can be used with valves like this one: http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Widespr...nents/417878.htm?skuId=345528&brandId=1252295

But already this is getting expensive. It seems like a luxury to have one valve control temp and one valve control pressure--but also seems reasonable considering I already have 2 handle trim....but at the price and difficulty maybe just is not worth it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pfister and Delta both made valves like that years ago, but stopped because of the small demand for them. The second handle was NOT "thermostatic" it was just pressure balanced. I don't know any one who still makes them, but there may be one somewhere.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Some people really like a volume control, and all single-handle ones do not have that...they are on or off, with only temperature control...so, something like I showed can provide the needed safety in one package. Maintenance on them is easy since all of the parts are accessible. This is not necessarily true if you have to cobble something up inside the wall without an access panel behind. FWIW, the water inlet might work for a retrofit of an old two-handle set, but only if you're really lucky!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks