Installing ceramic tiles in tub/shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Irv

Reaction score
I am in the process of renovating a bathroom. I am going to install a type of cement backerboard called Hardibacker on the walls around the tub/shower. I will be installing 6 inch square ceramic tiles from tub to ceiling. What would be the best adhesive to use? I have used a ceramic tile adhesive called AcrylPro (which exceeds ANSI A136.1 Type 1 specs.) to secure the same tiles as a backsplash for the vanities and it works well there. Would it be better to use a polymer modified mortar for the walls around the tub/shower?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Use mortar, you'll be happier in the long run - mastic is okay in dry areas, but there are too many stories of problems in wet areas. You need a vapor barrier behind the cbu. Check out www.johnbridge.com for help on tiling, you'll find lots of helpful people and a good library of reference material.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
only cement made from portland or epoxy

Irv said:
.... the best adhesive to use? I have used a ceramic tile adhesive called AcrylPro (which exceeds ANSI A136.1 Type 1 specs.) to secure the same tiles as a backsplash for the vanities and it works well there. Would it be better to use a polymer modified mortar for the walls around the tub/shower?
Polymer modified mortar is mortar, which is Portland cement based, so, yes, this is OK. But you don't "need" the modifer in your cement; you do need the cement (mortar).

Jim is right, you'll have problems later with a shower if you use anything known as a tile adhesive behind the tiles. Even some product skonwn as cemetn are not REAL cemetn, since they are not Portland cement.

Mold eats this organic adhesive stuff, and it smells bad. Use only a Portland cement -- or an epoxy cement product (big bucks). Any other "adhesive" will be a problem or complaint down the line.

david
p.s. there is another post here, a nuisance post, which i suggest the main moderator delete. It is from username "links". My thoughts, for the record.

chas22

Reaction score
Once you get use to using Hardibacker I think you will like it, screws to wall easy. Check out their web site. Be sure to wipe down the hardibacker with a damp sponge before laying the tile, this keeps from sucking the moisture out of your mortar to fast and helps with bonding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks