Installing a washer drain 1 ft from main stack - is vent necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

John2.0

Reaction score
I assume technically it's required but I can't see why it is necessary. It's on the uppermost floor and will be the highest fixture draining into the stack, which penetrates the roof 8-10 ft above. If I can even squeeze a vent connection between the p-trap and the tie-in, how is it actually necessary?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If is is the highest connected drain on the stack, then no, it does not require a seperate vent.

You may be creating a different problem though, if the fixture below that is not re-vented. The highest drain connection on the stack is the ONLY fixture which can use the stack vent without being re-vented.

dwv_b2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

John2.0

Reaction score
If is is the highest connected drain on the stack, then no, it does not require a seperate vent.

You may be creating a different problem though, if the fixture below that is not re-vented. The highest drain connection on the stack is the ONLY fixture which can use the stack vent without being re-vented.

dwv_b2.jpg

Ahh, yes, something I did not think of but makes perfect sense. Thank you! A few feet below the proposed tie-in is a pipe running to a toilet (about 3' away) which also goes on to a tub (an additional 3-4' away), neither of which are vented. Looks like I'll have to address this, too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks