installing a tub and a one piece surround...

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by zbaise, Oct 27, 2006.

1. zbaise

zbaise New Member

In what order should I do the following...
    Should I glue or caulk the tub and surround then attach to walls or attach to walls and then caulk? My wife says someone told her that we should use adhesive to secure the surround to the tub and then caulk the seam, is that correct or is tub 'n tile caulk sufficient?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

We need more details about what brand and model we are dealing with.
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

4. Cass

Cass Plumber

I reciently used some Power Grab for tub surrounds and I am hooked on the stuff.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

surround

What do you mean by a one piece surround. If it is truly a one piece unit then it has to attach to the tub before the walls are installed because it would be designed for a specific opening size, and that is the same size as the tub's before any wallboard is installed. Once the drywall is in place the opening becomes smaller and a one piece unit should be too large for it. A one piece unit could not be designed to fit inside the walls because every space/room would be different.