Installing a toilet Help

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by jsnc, Jun 8, 2013.

1. jsnc

jsnc New Member

I've got my old toilet off and getting ready to install my new ultramax. I have the old toilet out and the existing flange looks to be in good shape and the top is just above finished floor (+1/16-1/8"), but in looking at the wax seal that they gave me, it doesn't have a funnel integrated into it whereas the other one did. I assume I need to use the funnel again. Is that correct? See attached image below. Any thoughts would be welcome....don't want to flood the bathroom or downstairs.

exst flange.jpg
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The funnel isn't needed.

Make sure the bowl compresses the wax. If it doesn't, you may need either a thicker ring, or two stacked.
    If I stack wax, I use a horned wax on top of a standard wax. There are so many correct ways of doing this.

I like using new bolts, and a new water supply.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Generally, the horned wax ring is not desirable when used as the only ring. If the flange is resting on top of the finished floor, a single ring is all that is needed. If the flange is recessed, usually the result of a new floor being added, then the horned ring as Terry described is called for although a single thick ring may be sufficient. Definitely use new bolts and water supply line.