Installing a toilet Help

Users who are viewing this thread

jsnc

Reaction score
I've got my old toilet off and getting ready to install my new ultramax. I have the old toilet out and the existing flange looks to be in good shape and the top is just above finished floor (+1/16-1/8"), but in looking at the wax seal that they gave me, it doesn't have a funnel integrated into it whereas the other one did. I assume I need to use the funnel again. Is that correct? See attached image below. Any thoughts would be welcome....don't want to flood the bathroom or downstairs.

exst flange.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The funnel isn't needed.

Make sure the bowl compresses the wax. If it doesn't, you may need either a thicker ring, or two stacked.
If I stack wax, I use a horned wax on top of a standard wax. There are so many correct ways of doing this.

I like using new bolts, and a new water supply.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Generally, the horned wax ring is not desirable when used as the only ring. If the flange is resting on top of the finished floor, a single ring is all that is needed. If the flange is recessed, usually the result of a new floor being added, then the horned ring as Terry described is called for although a single thick ring may be sufficient. Definitely use new bolts and water supply line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks