Installing a toilet flange

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by kwhitt1017@yahoo.com, Jan 24, 2006.

1. kwhitt1017@yahoo.com

kwhitt1017@yahoo.com New Member

I am getting ready to place ceramic tile in my bathroom. Does the toilet flange sit on top of the tile or does it sit on the conc. board? If it sits on top of the tile does it have screwed into the tile?

Thanks Much!! :)
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Unless it's cast iron it should be screwed down and sit on top of the tile...
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You will have to drill holes through the tile so the screws and go into the subfloor. I like stainless steel for this as they last much longer than others. Drill the holes with a slightly larger diameter than the screw to prevent breaking the tile when you sink the screws.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You can also put notches in the tile to line up with the holes in the flange so that you only need to go through the cbu and the subflooring when you screw it down. Much easier cutting those notches with the wetsaw than drilling if you are using something like a hard porcelain tile (unless you have access to diamond bits).
  5. kwhitt1017@yahoo.com

kwhitt1017@yahoo.com New Member

kwhitt1017

Thanks all for your responses :)