Installing a sink tailpiece

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Titan7, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Titan7

Titan7 New Member

I installed the sink about a year ago, looked under the sink and the tail piece looks like it has a tiny leak where it threads into the drain (the part that attaches to the bottom of the sink). So I took it off and the p-trap, cleaned everything off.

I applied some oatey pipe compount #31226, grey, and then wrapped 3 times with telfon tape and reinstalled. Is this correct?

Also why does the tape always bunch up, I put it on the treads clockwise. I assume there is nothing I put on the PVC P-trap treads on the other side of the p-trap.

[​IMG][/IMG]
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

If your going to use both pipe dope and T-tape apply the tape first then the dope. Are you sure it's coming from the tail piece? It may be coming from the connection above it.

John
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The tape bunches up because there is not enough room inside that connection for three layers of it.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I'll agree many times the leak is coming from the mack washer on the drain above.
    Make sure you check that carefully and if it is post back for a solution.
  5. Titan7

Titan7 New Member

It's not the Mack washer. There was some mineral deposits around the tailpiece connection, and it was a bit loose.

So should I take this apart again and redo it?
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Those are very fine threads , and 3 wraps of tape could be too much. If it is together and not dripping,. let it be!!!!!!!
  7. Titan7

Titan7 New Member

Well, it does not appear to be dripping. I don't like the look of the extra white tape, looks sort or homeowener DIYer ; )

If I decide to redo it, would you use paste or tape? If tape should I fold it in half and wrap once?

The only pain is I have to disconnect the entire p-trap to get the tailpiece out ; (
  8. Titan7

Titan7 New Member

Well, it does not appear to be dripping. I don't like the look of the extra white tape, looks sort or homeowener DIYer ; )

If I decide to redo it, would you use paste or tape? If tape should I fold it in half and wrap once?

The only pain is I have to disconnect the entire p-trap to get the tailpiece out ; (
  9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Just don't look. If it isn't leaking, quit beating yourself up. Now..........where's the beer.

I like dope on those threads. It hides better.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If the tailpiece is tight, and you just don't like the look of the tape, unpeel the excess which is showing. It is not doing anything anyway.