Installing a new water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

johnFB

Reaction score
My old water heater has reached it expiry date and we need to buy a new heater. The old one will be replaced tomorrow and will be dumped in the garbage container to be taken away. I haven't researched on the heaters it, so I decided to know the pulse of the public before starting my search. Which is the most popular brand of water heater available now. This is for just 5 people so I guess 50 galleons would be the right size.
So guys come up with your suggestions.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you're still shopping around:
There are 4 major manufacturers of water heaters (AO Smith, American, BradfordWhite and Rheem). No matter what brand you pick, it's made by one of these four.

I'd get the lowest price. High price doesn't guarantee high quality (high quality is pure luck).

Proper installation is important too.

Google "water heater complaints" and read what consumers are saying.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are in the minority who would want to inspect or replace the anode, you would be better to get a water heater with a separate hex head anode port rather than an anode that is combined with the hot water hot output port.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not sure what brands are available in Canada verses the USA. SOme of them may be made in the same factory, but have different names on them, so what's available in the USA, may or may not apply to Canada.

Silversaver

Reaction score
My old Bradford White 75 gallon gas start to leak and looking for a new bradford or Rheem. What's the average cost of replacement included disposal old?

I'm in Orange County, CA

Silversaver

Reaction score
My wife called a local contractor and got it handled. We settle for a Rheem Pro 75 gal unit replace out the old Bradford White. Trying to get a Rheem Performance unit from HD, but the unit is too heavy and I give up the DIY....

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
$1,700 for a 75 gal is OK price. Not the best price, but OK, considering the tough handling, delivery, all new connectors, shut off valve, new gas line and valve and disposal of old heater.

Had you done it yourself you could have saved a little, but like you said, it was too much for you.

Silversaver

Reaction score
I used the $100 coupon end up with $1599. For a Rheem Professional Classic Plus 75 gal ultra low Nox unit with new gasline, water supply lines, copper temp and pressure release drain, insulation and re-install the old recirculating pump, I think it is a real good deal. I love DIY jobs, but this is too much for one man job.

20150818_203010_resized.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks good, but...

Would you have enough air circulating at the bottom around the unit - the unit kind of fills up the entire space. It look sufficient from the picture, but I can't tell for sure.
Look at you manual or call Rheem for recommendations.

Silversaver

Reaction score
It replaces the old Bradford White 75 gal unit. Nothing much I can do with spacing unless I switch house.....Manufacture recommend Diameter of
water heater plus 2” min.

20150820_012753.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks