Installing a neoprene sleeve banded coupling - the easy way!

Users who are viewing this thread

McG

Reaction score
Okay fellas (and gals) my finger tips are raw from trying to unroll the black rubber sleeve of a banded coupling. I got one end on and have now to roll the cuff onto the joining 2" PVC pipe. I am working in a very cramped and confined space - lath and plaster behind, a stud an inch to the left - but come on; It shouldn't be this difficult! I have tried vaseline and that didn't seem to help at all. There must be some trick to this. It looks so neat and easy in the picture books. Does anyone have a trick for unrolling these things. Condoms are easier to install.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
If that is a no-hub (aka Mission) coupling with a neoprene sleeve inside a stainless steel sleeve in good condition, there should be nothing to "unroll" and it should slide on (maybe with a little lube). You can try heating it with a hair dryer.
Personally, I would just get another one that will slide on.
Mike

mission-cp200.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

McG

Reaction score
Neoprene Sleeve

Mike, it is a hub fitting with a corrugated paper outer sleeve. The sleeve has four metal bands that are tightened with a ratchet I don't know the manufacturer or the style of banded coupling the one I'm currently working with is. I only know of one other banded coupling which does not roll up but that would be impossible to install because there is not enough clearance. Because the one I have rolls up on itself, I am able to realign the pipe which is locked in place by couplings above and below the joint. Perhaps the Mission style sleeve is yet another type that goes on loosely can be slipped up or down as necessary, positioned and then tightened. That does sound like an ideal coupling for my circumstances here. I will ask at my local plumbing supply house if they have another style that may work for me. I would like to use the one I have and it would work if I could only unroll it.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Lube is the last thing you want on this, you'll never be able to grip the rubber.
I think you meant to say "corrugated steele sleeve" (not paper..I hope)
Roll the rubber down before you put it on, slip it over whichever pipe has any play in it, then roll it over the pipe after it's on one side.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sleeve

remember, you have an incentive to get the condum on quickly. Stand the pipe or fitting on the floor. Insert one end into the coupling, after sliding the band back off the neoprene sleeve. Then push down with your hand while guiding the neoprene back over the other half. Start on one side and work both ways at the same time to the other side

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks