Installing a Lako's Twist to Clean Filter

Users who are viewing this thread

mtyakker

Reaction score
Needing some advice on installing this correctly this time. I installed the 1.5 inch Twist to Clean using teflon tape and PVC pipe, which I mistakenly solidly glued into place. Problem number one is I have a replacement unit coming under a warranty issue. On one side of the filter at the first threaded fitting attached to the filter I have always had a drip. Did I use too much tape, not enough tape, or am I better off using the Plumbers putty. Secondly I want to use sone type of two piece compression fitting on each side of the lako's so that I can totally remove it fro servicing the inner filter cartridge. Am I better off using Galvanized here or are their plastic type fittings that will be trouble{leak} free. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF the threads are crappy, sometimes pipe dope works better. But, also note that not all pipe dope is safe for plastic materials. You don't want galvanized fittings, see if you can find brass ones. Note that you should also avoid any female plastic threaded fittings, especially if you use metal fittings into them - the female fitting will tend to split. That may be the issue with the leak you have.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Forget compression fittings. You can employ a pair of sch 80 unions to connect this with. With the KBI sch 80 unions I employ, I would mix and match the parts from one slip union and one threaded union to create a pair of slip x female unions. If the filter housing is made from glass-filled nylon plastic, you can lay on a heavier layer of teflon tape, and skip adding paste dope to the housing threads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks