Installing a diverter step-by-step

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerome7

Reaction score
Hello all,

My current plumbing has a supply valve and a shower head pipe (as pictured). I would like to add a diverter to the setup for a handheld shower. The diverter valve has threaded male in/outlets. The inlet is on the south side and the outlets are on the north and west side.
Please let me know if the following steps are in the right order or there is an easier way to do this.

1. solder the pipes to the handhel shower elbow
  2. cut the long pipe between the supply valve and the shower head at the location of the future diverter valve
  3. remove the shower head elbow from the wood backing
  4. install wood backing for supporting the diverter valve and the handheld shower elbow.
  5. screw 3 female copper adapters to the diverter valve inlet and outlets (use plumbing tape on threads)
  6. slide down the diverter valve (female connector) to the pipe coming from supply valve, then screw the valve to the wood backing
  7. slide down the pipe from the shower head elbow into the diverter valve (female connector), then screw the elbow to the wood backing
  8. slide in the pipe from the handheld shower to the diverter valve (female connector), and screw the elbow to the wood backing
  9. It's now dry fit on the wall
  10. solder the pipes to the 3 female connectors on the diverter valve

I don't like to solder against the wall, but it seems it's easier to have everything fit in this way rather than soldering to the female connector first than having to screw them on the diverter later (which might not always be possible since we can freely rotate things)

Any suggestions will be very appreciated
Thanks

Attachments

• photo (7).JPG
    photo (7).JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 181
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks