Installing 12" toilet in 14" rough-in

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by pos1, Jun 15, 2010.

1. pos1

pos1 New Member

I am replacing an existing toilet with a new dual-flush toilet. The rough-in is 14". the toilet I want to install is a 12" rough-in (I'm certain I can't get it in a 14" rough-in). Is the only problem I'll run into cosmetic, in that the tank will sit an add'l 2" from the wall from the existing toilet? it's hard for me to picture what that might look like, but it doesn't seem that big of a deal.

I have no plans to do any other remodeling, i.e. break the concrete floor, etc. I simply intend on replacing the toilet...I want this to be an easy job. Worst case I'll go shopping for a 14" rough-in toilet, but I'd rather not.

Any info would be appreciated.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It will work fine, but as you thought, it will stick out an extra 2" into the room, and from the wall. If that isn't an issue, go for it. It becomes an issue if you have clearance issues. the toilet could sit in the middle of the room, if you liked the look. There are LOTS of toilets installed that have a larger than design gap behind them.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Any 12" toilet will work for a 14" rough.
    If you want to pull the bowl back 2", then there is only one method.

Moving the bowl back 2" information

[​IMG]
    James demonstrating in an old Seattle home that has a 14" rough-in.
    The toilet on the left is a Toto Soiree with 14" Unift, the toilet on the right, is a Cadet 3 elongated bowl.
    Both bowls are elongated, but you can see how much leg room is gained by James on the Toto. Several inches!
    It's also much easier to use when standing up. His butt doesn't hit the pedestal anymore.
    Same bathroom, different bowls.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  4. pos1

pos1 New Member

Is it true that the toilet itself will also stick out an extra 2" or will there only be the extra 2" gap between the tank and the wall? I hadn't thought about the toilet actually sticking out more. I guess I had figured that the 14" offset was for toilets that were larger in the tank area (for some odd reason). I think what you're saying is that it's really just the mounting holes on the toilet that are different and therefore putting in a 12" rough-in toilet would move the entire toilet from the wall 2". If so, I may have to rethink this and just go with a 14" toilet.
  5. nukeman

nukeman Nuclear Engineer

It depends on the toilet. Many 14" models are really just a 12" bowl with a thicker tank to make up the space between the toilet and the wall. If you got a Toto with a unifit like Terry mentions, the toilet will move back 2" (closing the gap at the wall and giving you an extra 2" in front of the toilet). If you have a smaller bathroom, using the unifit setup will really help.
  6. jadnashua

A 12" rough-in toilet sitting on a 14" actual flange, WILL stick out 2" more than the spec sheet says. Now, as Terry linked to, the only one that actually can pull the whole toilet back to the 'design' gap behind is Toto with their UniFit adapter (which only works on some of their toilets, all of them skirted). Most other manufacturers just substitue a different tank to fill the gap, but the front of the toilet from the bolts on the flange to the front remains the same...so, move them out 2", the front has to move 2" as well.
  7. Noname

Noname New Member

14" rough-in flange setting and 12" toilet

I have an older cast iron flange set at 14" from the wall and a 12" toilet - leaving me 4" from the wall. Is there any type of flange or fixture I can get to move the toilet closer to the wall. I have seen offset closet flanges but there is already a flange (cast iron) in the floor. Am I doomed to buying a new 14" rough in toilet? Thanks
  8. jadnashua

If you want to make the gap smaller behind the toilet, you need to do one of two things: move the flange and downpipe, or buy a toilet designed for a 14" rough-in. If you want the toilet to not stick out as far, then you should look at one of the Toto toilets that use the Unifit adapter (unique to certain Toto toilets). This allows the same toilet to fit on either 10, 12, or 14" rough-ins by changing out the adapter. I think there may be a Caroma brand model that may have some adjustment, but am not certain. The vast majority of other 14" rough-in toilets use the same bowl, and just put a thicker tank on it, so they stick out that extra 2" into the room.
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

These days many 14" toilets use a 12" bowl with a tank that is 2" deeper so it comes out closer to the wall. Some 10" toilets do the same with a thinner tank.
  10. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Toto is the only manufacturer that makes adapters that will allow some of their models to fit a 10", 12", or 14" rough-in by just selecting the size adapter necessary. The toilet will set in the same place on the floor. The Unifit adapter only works on specific models of Toto toilets and will not fit other makes.
  11. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Another alternative that fewer people consider is furring the wall out to take up the space. While this is entirely feasable, if the bath is already small you would be making it that much smaller.
  12. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Not to start a war, but while furring the wall out would make the 12" toilet appear to fit better, it would cost as much to do it as getting a Toto with a Unifit adapter, and you'd still have the expense of buying a toilet.