Installed new Bradford White. Noisy Operation when burner kicks off.

Users who are viewing this thread

ap1972

Reaction score
I just got a new Bradford White water heater (Model: MI404T6FBN) installed. It seems that when the burner kicks off, it makes lot of noise, as if the air is blowing away the flame. The noise is noticeable as my previous burner (A O Smith) was pretty quiet. Plus having my office in the basement, I can notice it when I'm working.

Is this typical of these heaters? Is there any kind of air adjustment on these burners?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Mine makes a firm and precise "click" when it turns off, like you say louder than my last one but not too annoying.

ap1972

Reaction score
Mine makes a firm and precise "click" when it turns off, like you say louder than my last one but not too annoying.

Sorry, I did not mean the "click" noise. I'm talking about the noise made when the burner lights up with flames.

Anyways, I had the plumber come in and check it. He said it is perfectly normal as there is more air intake fueling the flame & hence more activity with more noise.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Oh, when it kicks in.

Yes, it does go whoosh.

Then the house rattles...

...and a few car alarms go off down the street. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks