Installation of softener with well

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by Larry_T, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Larry_T

Larry_T New Member

Hi -

Two questions regarding installation of a softener with a private well:

1) We have slight sediment in the water after hard rains. We were going to install a whole house filter at the same time as installing softener, but reading posts here do I understand correctly that a whole house filter is not recommended if we install a softener?

2) The way the utility room is set up in our basement, it looks like space for a softener is _before_ the pressure tank. Is this the correct location? Somehow, it seems that the softener would be after the pressure tank.

Thanks.

Giles

2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Tech. Instructor
    Is your well a dug well or drilled?
    How much is your idea of slight ?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Larry_T

Larry_T New Member

We have a drilled well, about 300'.

Sometimes, a day or two after heavy rains, we'll notice a slight discoloration of the water in the toilet bowl or bathtub. By slight, I mean you can just barely tell that the water isn't perfectly clear. It clears up within a day or two.

5. mattbee24

mattbee24 In the Trades

Salesman and Purchasing Agent for a wholesale plum
    The softener goes after the pressure tank.

6. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

Retired
    And depending on what brand control valve you have, no prefilter. About the only control valves that need a prefilter are the big box store brands and Kinetico.

7. Larry_T

Larry_T New Member

Thanks very much. That's the info I needed.

8. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Tech. Instructor
    Giles, have you had the water tested? Just wondering why you think you need a softener.