Installation HVAC/Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

brosnt1

Reaction score
For new construction, If an HVAC (duct work) and a plumbing system are both to be installed, is there 1st priority given to one installation before the other to make both installation easier? Also I read that ABS plastic pipe and fittings are no longer allowed for DWV in some areas, if this is true, what is their reasoning?
Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First, as far as I know, both the UPC and IPC allow ABS and PVC in residential up to 2 stories. There are local jurisdictions which have never allowed either, and local rules for commercial get much more varied.

Plumbing install vs HVAC is the perennial battle in new construction. A good general will have some "feel" for mandatory issues for each group, and will try to coordinate both subs to "make everyone happy"

brosnt1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but the reason I was asking is, I will be installing both a plumbing system and the air ducts for the HVAC. I'm trying to visualize what would be easier to work around, the plumbing or duct work, and what should be installed 1st. Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated.

TedL

Reaction score
Air can flow in any direction....drain lines can only go one way.

Do the plumbing (especially drainage) design first, then the HVAC. If the planned plumbing presents a huge obstacle for the HVAC, weigh the pros & cons of changing one vs. the other.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
On every residential development I was on, it went plumbers first, tin knockers, then sparky. The foremen got together first so we would stay out of certain joist spaces or keep our pipes tight to the beam, etc. Shit has to roll downhill, but ducts and conduit can be offset around our pipes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Hvac

Just as in traffic on land or water, the one with the least maneuverability goes first. AC ductwork cannot be easily "offset" so it should be installed first, then the plumbing which can be offset around it goes next. Finally the electric which has the most flexibility is installed last. (Also because electricians take up as much space as possible, or at least make it difficult/impossible for any one else to use the space, you want to do your work before them.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks