Install traditional valve on CPVC/PVC pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Iamplumbingidiot

Reaction score
My home is 10 yr old new construction that has plastic ACCOR shut off valves with factory attached water supply line in one piece. Thinking of replacing all with traditional (metal) valves. More than a dozen of them in the house: under sinks, toilets and I believe that even I can do it. With CPVC/PVC coming out of the wall, I had believed that my options were:

1. Install a CPVC/PVC to male thread (metal) adapter onto pipe using primer/cement or glue then attach metal valve.
2. Or find valves that have a built in CPVC/PVC adapter. Also using primer/cement to attach to pipe.

Either of those 2 options would require glue or primer/cement to attach onto pipe. I don’t want to use Sharkbite Push to Connect valve because I am not sure of durability and besides I only have 1.75 inch of pipe coming out of the wall and I am concerned that if need to remove, I’ll have hard time removing Sharkbite with clip once Sharkbite is installed due to not much space left behind installed Sharkbite.

Then this guy at the hardware store (a customer who claimed that he’s a handy man) told me to just go ahead and use compression valve. He told me to put brass ferrule or sleeve and nut onto the CPVC/PVC pipe then pull them down and tighten them (with Teflon applied on male threads). I looked at him and asked: “You mean like I had copper pipe?”. He insisted that it would be same procedure for CPVC/PVC.

Now that shattered all my belief/thinking. What do you guys think? I am sorry if my question is too silly or elementary.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you do not have room to remove a Sharkbite valve, HOW would you remove a CPVC valve with a built in adapter? Use compression, but you ALSO have to insert a "stabilizing sleeve" inside the tubing before attaching the valve.

anglestop-cpvc-2.jpg

They also make shutoffs that will glue onto CPVC pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iamplumbingidiot

Reaction score
If you do not have room to remove a Sharkbite valve, HOW would you remove a CPVC valve with a built in adapter? Use compression, but you ALSO have to insert a "stabilizing sleeve" inside the tubing before attaching the valve.
thanks for reply. So I can use compression on my tubing provided that there is an insert to support the tube. I'll look into this option.

Reaction score
Compression fittings are approved for CPVC, but keep 2 things in mind:

1. Be careful not to over-torque the connection
2. When cutting into the pipe, use a wheel cutter or fine tooth saw, ratchet cutters aren't intended for use with aged plastic pipe and can damage it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks