Install help for Toto Drake with closet flange below floor

Users who are viewing this thread

IlliniCarolyn

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm replacing an ancient toilet in my house. Unfortunately, after yanking the old beast out, I found the closet flange is about 3/8" (as much as 1/2" on one side) below the tile surface. I have seen you recommend against the extra-thick flanges with funnel attached, but should I use one here (this is the one Dad picked up for me: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1272861)? I've also see you recommend against those flange extension kits, so is this a case where you'd recommend stacking two wax rings? If so, am I stacking one standard ring atop the closet flange, then one with a funnel attached atop that to keep it aligned or just two standard wax rings? Thanks for the help!
Carolyn

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Use two wax rings...one standard, one with the horn on top of it. You could use one or two of the waxless ones, but they cost more and on an old house, the pipe might be cast iron, and after many decades of use, those that seal on the inside of the pipe (as opposed to the top of the flange) may no longer be smooth enough to make a good seal.

Reach4

Reaction score
I found the closet flange is about 3/8" (as much as 1/2" on one side) below the tile surface. I have seen you recommend against the extra-thick flanges with funnel attached, but should I use one here (this is the one Dad picked up for me: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1272861)?

That will work fine. Like any wax ring, place it over the flange. When you lower the toilet, don't raise it back up. You would like to have your shims in place before you drop the toilet.

If you did want to switch, this could be a good job for a Saniseal if you don't want to worry about the not lifting or re-positioning limitation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks