Instahot systems

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Dave Bean, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Dave Bean

Dave Bean New Member

Hello from a new member. :)

I'm renovating my kitchen right now and I wanted to know about the reliability and issues with Instahot systems. They are the little electric hot water heaters that go under your sinkbase. It heats small amounts of water up to 190 degrees so you don't have to boil water with a tea kettle. I plan on using it for coffee, tea, instant noodles...etc..etc..

I think there are two major brands: Franke and Insinkerator

Much appreciated

Dave Bean
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

They work great, I would go with Insinkerator

here is some info on 2 of the basic modles

1/3 Gal., 40 Cups/Hr. @ 190F
    ½ Gal., 60 Cups/Hr. @ 190F
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

They seem to last 8-10 years.

That's pretty good for what they are.

You can't beat the convenience of it.
  4. jk60

jk60 Engineer

My first Insinkerator hot water dispenser lasted about 10 years. The second one went belly up a little shy of one year of service. It was still covered under warranty and Insinkerator sent me a new replacement. No problems with it so far, going probably 2 - 3 years. It is a very convenient appliance and I would certainly recommend it.
  5. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

I had Insinkerators in a couple of houses. One lasted for only a couple of years, then developed a terminal leak; the other worked well as long as we had the house (~11 years). My wife believes that you have to start with cold water to make coffee properly, so I haven't bothered to install one in our current house.