Inspector is requiring shower Isolation Valve...

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
Heya forum,

The building inspector has stumped me. He's saying I need a shower mixer with isolation valves for a main bath in the new downstairs of a remodel.

I asked if I could add in-line ball valves to a access panel. He said yes, but didn't recommend it. I concur only because my hot and cold come from completely opposite directions.

I asked if I could add on valves to the mixer I already have installed (a mid-range Moen unit). He said typically the cover plate needs to be bigger to provide access, and I should just buy a mixer with the isolators built in.

Well a quick trip to the Home Depot and there doesn't seem to be a single shower mixer with built-in isolation valves. Reading through past topics here on the forums seems to indicate this is neither popular nor necessary, and nowhere did I see an inspector calling for them due to code requirements.

Can you clue me in?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Shower valves with integral stops are very common....but not at home depot. It is true that we might consider stops to be an unnecessary expense in a single family residence. I am not aware that codes require it...but maybe in your town they do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks