Inspection Request for PEX

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mbauer, May 29, 2009.

1. mbauer

mbauer Programmer

Inspector requesting insulation for PEX

The inspector is requesting that I insulate my attic and outside PEX runs. He is also requesting that I fill the holes in the top plate with spray foam.

Does anyone know if the spray foam will be a problem where it comes in contact with the PEX?

Can I just use regular polyethylene tubing with the PEX and use metal strapping to secure it?

I'm using Wirsbo AquaPex by the way.

Thanks!
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
  2. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

The spray foam will be fine. But I guess a call to Uponor couldn't hurt matters.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I'm kind of surprised he is requesting foam. I would have thought he would want fireproof caulking.
  4. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

Your best to ask the manufacturer about compatibility issues. Are you sure the inspector is allowing you to use foam and not intumescent (not sure about spelling) caulk?
  5. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

foam

Just regular foam here, because the wood is already flammable. Fireproofing is only for fire rated structures requiring non flammable materials.
  7. iminaquagmire

iminaquagmire DIY Senior Member

Knowing the other side of things, I like fire-resistant foam. A top plate, even a single one, will burn for a good 10-15 minutes before being compromised. Can you say that for regular foam or caulking?
  8. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

The foam is not there to stop the fire. It is there to stop the chimney effect that will draw fire into the cavity. I would bet that most PEX manufacturers would tell you not to use a urethane foam product in contact with their pipe.