Inspection/licensing for working on own house

Users who are viewing this thread

twinbro2

Reaction score
When you work on your own house, do you need to get the building inspector to come look at your work? For example, if you are replacing one existing supply line? What if you replumb the whole house?

Also, do you need to get any kind of plumbing or contractors license to work on your own house? Thanks!

TheZster

Reaction score
While permit requirements vary from region to region, typically you need a permit (and the subsequent inspections) for any plumbing/electrical/HVAC/Structural work. Some regions go even deeper, requiring things like drywall screw inspections/insulation inspections for new walls.

Licensing requirements will also vary from region to region. Contact your local permit office for details. They're usually pretty helpful in my experience.... and will help you get the job done right with proper info for your area.

Finnegan

Reaction score
Generally speaking, in NJ you do not need a license to work on your own single family house that you live in, or will be living in after renovations. But even here we have some exceptions. The final connections on teh high pressure line on an AC unit have to be brazed by a licensed installer. Some cities and states have some peculiar requriements. Your local building department can probably help you out with this.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
permits

Every area has its own requirements for inspections and licenses. Replacing a water heater, for example, almost always requires a permit and inspection. Replacing a faucet may, or may not, require an inspection depending on where you live. Many places will allow a homeowner to do his own work, providing he does it all himself, without hiring any help to do it. But it still requires a permit and inspection to verify that the work was done to the required standards.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
BUT, if you live in the people's republic of Massachusetts, you are not allowed to do ANY plumbing work in your own house. The fine is $2500.

By the way, up until a few years ago, motorists were not allowed to pump their own gas at the station. Had to have the attendant come out and do it. I think they finally changed that around the year 2000. Figured they might as well get into the 21st century, since they had SKIPPED the 20th!

Marc

Reaction score
jimbo said:
BUT, if you live in the people's republic of Massachusetts, you are not allowed to do ANY plumbing work in your own house. The fine is $2500.

Guess I owe about $10k then!

Odd since the local home depot gives workshops on how to do it all yourself.

Vitaliy

Reaction score
Jimbo,

I live in Massachusetts since September 1992.
All gas stations had ‘self service†pumps and only few had “full serviceâ€
(i.e. assisted) pumps in ADDITION to “self serviceâ€.

Are you saying in Massachusetts I cannot replace even toilet supply
line myself? If this still a case (actually I have no idea) stores like HD
should not even be allowed in MA. Or whoever bought something from
plumbing department should be automatically fined at registry
(just in case not to miss any DIY).

- Vitaliy

SLB

Reaction score
jimbo said:
By the way, up until a few years ago, motorists were not allowed to pump their own gas at the station. Had to have the attendant come out and do it.

FYI, it was (may still be) like this in Oregon when I was there last year.

-Steve

Sulconst2

Reaction score
i always equated this with "you have the right to bear arms, you have the right to work on your own home". you still need permits as required but in jersey like finnigan said, you can sign off on plumbing and electric as an exempt applicant (homeowner). inspectors hate this. they bust balls. not a bad thing seeing "some" of the homes i remodeled with previous homeowners trying to do work. i agree with the ac lines. even though i installed unit myself the inspector wanted liscense # from my ac guy. must be something new. i also think if you do this work you are supposed to stay in the home for 2 years. you cant flip it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Well I only get back for clams every few years; in Oct. of 2004 the station in my home town was still doing all the pumping, but it is a small town and a small station. In 1999, I remember being hassled at a station near Logan as I jumped out and grabbed the nozzle and started pumping!

I too have wondered about the inconsistency of HD being there. I guess is it just a case of they must be looking the other way.

I believe you are allowed to change faucet washers. I don't know about a supply line. I know if you buy an undersink water filer from HD, the installation instructions mention that in MA it must be installed by a licensed plumber.

Give me a large clam plate and a pound-and-a-quarter lobster and fergetaboutit!

Finnegan

Reaction score
NJ does not allow self serve gas stations. Everything is full service. However, full service in NJ is the same price as self service in other states. Strange.

twinbro2

Reaction score
thanks for the replies

thanks for the info... I will check with the local building code people... A (competent) homeowner ought to be able to do some work on his/her own house. On the other hand, there are certain things in plumbing that seem simple but aren't.

P.S. In SC there are almost no "full service" stations anymore.

trinculo54

Reaction score
It has been my experience that the town/city can decided what you can and can't do in your house, in Poughkeepsie New York for example you can work on your own plumbing, however if you are connected to city/town water and or sewer they then require you to have a licensed plumber do the major work, IE main sewer lines etc...However if you have a well and a septic tank you can do all of the work yourself. For minor work that is connected to the city/town supplies, like changing a faucet or replacing a sink they require you to take a class and show certification before can get the permit...it's a pretty basic class that costs around $45 and lasts for about 2hours.

Such a strange system!

twinbro2

Reaction score
OK to work on own house...

I called our building office, and in my county you can work on your own residence but you need to get a building permit and also need to have work inspected before any of it is covered up.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
hay jimbo

just came back from 2 weeks on the cape. even visited your old town ,west Newbury, what a beautiful place my grandkids are growing up in.

you can pump your own gas now. i find it interisting to see vacuum breakers on water heaters. cape is still great . be well kevin

Kelly

Builder/Remodeler
Reaction score
Website
www.johnbridge.com
How 'bout the Coconut State?

Isn't the People's Republic of Massachusetts one of them places still likes to use lead and copper shower pans, too? :rolleyes:

But that's not why I called. Please to settle discussion from over yonder to the Tile Your World forums:

Is the homeowner allowed to pull plumbing permits and do plumbing work in her own house in the state of Hawaii?

Thanks, as always,
CX

A

alhurley

Kelly said:
......Is the homeowner allowed to pull plumbing permits and do plumbing work in her own house in the state of Hawaii?......
I think I just saw somewhere that the answer is a resounding "NO!"

btw - is it just me, or is there a correlation here between the state's controlling political party and permit rules? :rolleyes:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks