I no longer use that membrane

Users who are viewing this thread

Loudgonzo

Reaction score
thanks John,

Why would i need to use cement board around the brick, couldn't the outside tile be cut taller to give inwards slope?

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
thanks John,

Why would i need to use cement board around the brick, couldn't the outside tile be cut taller to give inwards slope?

Not sure where you're getting this Mr Gonzo, but I don't believe any manufacturer of "cement board" recommends that their products be installed over brick - and I would agree. Yes, you can cut the outside tile taller to give you the slope, it's done all the time and will work quite well. :)

Loudgonzo

Reaction score
ok, so last questions before we start buying material and begin building.

-Wonderboard is better than hardi because it allows thinset to adhere better to it? We will be using 12x20 porcelain tile

-Ardex X5 is better than Versabond, use it for covering seams and also coat all all wonderboard as a sort of primer.

-Also use Ardex x5 to adhere Kerdi to wonderboard, and the kerdi band along edges.

-Use 8+9 to paint over kerdi band seams.

-Use ardex x5 to attach tiles to kerdi.

If this is a good plan to follow, then we'll begin this weekend, the curb we can deal with later, since we'll leave the floor for last. I'm sure I'll have more questions and will post them and pics as build progresses.

thanks,
leo

Loudgonzo

Reaction score
You forgot one big step. Call Ardex and get confirmation that what I told you is in fact true.

Ask them what the best product is to set the kerdi foam bas down to the plywood.

If it was me I might use the Ardex 8+9 but I would first test this and double check with the technical folks at Ardex.

Consider the overlap of Kerdi over Kerdi with 8+9. Again chat with Ardex.

kerdi foam base will go over concrete

I thought you previously said you always covered kerdi seams with 8+9?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Which do you think is actually stronger...the mesh tape or the fabric of Kerdi itself? The installation of Kerdi over cbu provides all the reinforcement of the seam that it requires on the surface.

Loudgonzo

Reaction score
Yes. I did contact ardex;
-
Leo,
8+9 and X-5 are approved products by ARDEX to be used with Schluter Kerdi product.
Bob

Sent from my iPhone

-

I'm trying to see beyond the bickering here, to be able to build the best DIY shower I can. I know I can follow mfg guidelines and it will be good enough, and likely will not have any problem, no arguing there. But I also don't see any issue with making it better, if I can use a better material, why not? If I can add an extra layer of protection, why not? I don't think that by doing that, it takes anything away from the original plan.

My buddy has a spray in bed liner on his truck, he also has a plastic tonneu cover, either one by itself protects the factory finish. But nothing wrong with having both.

Leo

Dhagin

builder:anti-builder
Reaction score
I'll keep this simple and direct to the issues, Leo.

More isn't always better. Good luck. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks