Insinkerator Disposal without Dishwasher Installation Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

alcratin

Reaction score
Hi,

I have found several posts on this forum from several years ago discussing the installation of a disposal.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1736

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3055&highlight=dual+sink+disposal

The problem that I am having is that I do not have a dishwasher. Why do I not have a dishwasher you ask? The house I just bought (REO Foreclosure - Fixer Upper) never had one and my wife insists that she doesn't need one. (hmm...) Anyway until I can remodel the kitchen I have to make do with what I have.

I installed an Insinkerator Badger on a dual sink configuration much like the picture in those discussion threads mentioned above. But I do not have the air system to connect to. The knozzle at the top of the Badger is not connected to anything. What does this mean?

I am having problems with water not draining correctly, is this because there is no air release/pressure to help it drain?

I read something about code requiring a P-Trap system for each drain? How does this effect me? Am I up a creek here?:confused:

Advice for a non-dishwasher configuration.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The lack a dishwasher really only means that you do not need an air gap and that you shouldn't knock out the slug in the dishwasher connection until you install one.

Sounds like you may have a clogged sink line.

Do post a pick of your under sink pipes. We'll let you know how it looks.:cool:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
One does not need a disposer if one has a dishwasher and vice versa. Only thing one must have in both instances is gravity.

alcratin

Reaction score
The sink was draining fine prior to this installation, apparently the drain is working albeit very slowly and it does appear to be a clog.

Despite this, I will post a picture later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the responses.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A picture should help clarify things, but if I had to guess, since it worked before you added the disposer, the inlet in the wall is now probably too high. The trap arm can't go back up to reach the inlet in the wall from the outlet of the trap, it can only go straight to the drain (well, it should have a little down slope on it). Pictures will tell the story...

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
It's simple:

You've just forced a drain system to something it's not used to.....which is half chewed food. Either that or that line dried up during this remodel interval and everything got hard as a rock in the line.

An extensive drain cleaning will be the tall order and you'll have to do it again in the near future if the piping is an aging system.

This won't be the last time you'll have problems with this install.

Replaced one for a lady years ago for two disabled men, first thing she does is call me complaining that the disposal is clogging. She wanted the cheapest money would buy and I told her straight up after I got some lip from her,

"Ma'am, I'll have Insinkerator come out there to check the operation of the disposal, and if they determine that I incorrectly installed the disposal (she was implying this, fat hog) that I'd pay for insinkerator's trip to the home in full. I told her that IF they determine that there's nothing wrong with the install OR the disposal, you'll be liable for the charge."

I asked her straight up, "Did you ever happen to think that MAYBE the piping leading to the damn disposal was partially clogged beforehand, thus putting any disposal of any size in the same predicament???"

Never heard from her again, that was 5 years ago and I'm thankful because I wasn't going to put up with that retardedness. I've told more than one customer in my time that you Can't Fix Stupid! :D

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks