Insinkerator Badger 5 (5/8 hp)

Users who are viewing this thread

frayedknotarts

Reaction score
Ahhh... I don't know what you'd call 'em... the two "teeth" which are on the spinning plate and which (I think) are responsible for knocking material into the macerator as well as breaking larger bones... well, they both came out on me today and one got jammed into the macerator slot. I managed to wriggle that one out, but now have the two teeth (tooth?) assemblies and their pins sitting on the counter top....

Is it new unit time or is there a way to repair this puppy? (If you need, I can do a foto of the "teeth" and post it on my website with a link...)

Sorry about the lack of definitive nomenclature, but I'm pretty sure that any competent plumbing-type (does NOT include yours truly [I tie knots..gimme a break!] ) will recognize the parts.

Help?

(Addition) Seems the teeth are called "impellers" but Insinkerator's website is 'way less than helpful.

Last edited:

Achutch

Reaction score
I also had a Badger 5 that was installed when my condo was built in 1986. Like yours, the grinder plate was made of steel. Over the years, the grinder plate rusted so badly that several of the "teeth" fell out, leaving large gaps. My drain clogged several times because of the broken teeth. I think yours is probably ready to be retired. I had a plumber install a new Insinkerator with stainless steel works. The motor direction reverses each time it's turned on, so it can free itself of a jam. I've had the "new" model for about 6-7 years, and so far, I've had no problems with it.

Good Luck!

ACHUTCH from Vermont

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
teeth

The teeth are hammers and when they eventually wear out, or freeze into position so they cannot rotate freely, it is time to replace the unit. Even if they could be repaired it would cost more than a new unit to do it. And you would probably not be able to make it watertight anyway.

frayedknotarts

Reaction score
Hammers, or Impellers, or....

Thanks very much for the replies so far!

Just thought it very odd that both of the (whatevers) AND their pivot pins should choose the same time to part company from the rotating plate. Makes me wonder if there's some sort of locking plate below the rotating deck that may have come undone? Don't much feature getting it apart to investigate, but I may do once I've replaced the sodding thing.

Gonna go get a batch-feed so Momma won't be as nervous about using it, and (good point) will look for one that's s/steel and has the reversing start features. Also one that's at least 1 hp this time.

I'm a little disappointed in Insinkerator... this one's only eight years old and I'd'a thought it should have lasted a few more years before giving up.

Anyone have an opinion of an alternative maker?

Achutch

Reaction score
Come to think of it, it was about 8-9 years when my Badger 5 started wearing out (drain clogs), and I wasn't aware of it until I pulled something out (chicken gristle) the made a rattling noise and felt the broken teeth. The Badger 5 I think was a "contractor model", like the bathroom fixtures I got (and many of us in my building replaced). The inside of the Badger 5 rotted, yet the motor was perfect. I am not familiar with other brands, but the "upgraded" Insinkerator that I replaced the Badger 5 with shows no signs of falling apart, at least not yet. Let us know what you replace yours with.

ACHUTCH - Vermont

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Ise

[Gonna go get a batch-feed so Momma won't be as nervous about using it, and (good point) will look for one that's s/steel and has the reversing start features. Also one that's at least 1 hp this time.

When you buy a batch feed disposer, that is the only kind you will find. It will also be "longer" than a continuous feed, so check the height of the pipe in the wall. Also tape the wall switch so someone does not turn it off and then wonder why the disposer's switch does not work.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I just helped a neighbor replace an 18-year-old Badger 5 that was rusted internally beyond all belief. Centrifugal starter switch was corroded and the motor wouldn't start. After cleaning up the switch, it ran fine, but we elected to replace it for $58 -- no modifications to plumbing. I'm an InSinkerator fan.

frayedknotarts

Reaction score
The wall switch! Doh!

HJ, I'd have forgotten all about that until the event you decribed happened, and then it'd probably take me a week to figger it out.... I'll just remove the switch and blank-plate the box.

Got a couple of responses from folks by email as well and the universal consenus is to go with the higher-end Insinkerator in any case and especially so since that's the only batch-feed they list on the site.

So, off to HD tomorrow (hadda can today) and we'll pick up the new equipment and then I'll destroy half the kitchen trying to install it.

Thanks again to all!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks