inside fit 3" toilet flange and wax ring

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by schak, Apr 14, 2008.

1. schak

schak New Member

I have a toilet flange that was roughed-in my concrete floor basement when my house was built. Now years later I’ve finished my basement and ready to install the toilet. Breaking the flange knock-out revealed that the flange was fitted inside a 3†ABS pipe, not outside. My problem now is the standard wax ring horn? will not fit inside the flange hole, it is too big.

Do they make a wax ring for flanges that fits inside a 3†pipe? Do you have any other suggestions of how I can make the toilet bowl work with the current toilet flange. I read somewhere that a 3†inside fit flange should work fine for a 1.6 gal/flush toilet, which is what I have.

TIA
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Dry fit the toilet over the bolts without a wax ring to make sure the toilet will fit it. Not all do!
    Then if it does use a wax ring without the black plastic funnel. They cause more problems than they ever fixed and this problem you noticed is one of them.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The do make flanges that will fit inside a 3" pipe, but they are not recommended. They cut the inside diameter of the drain too much. Also, get rid of the wax ring with the plastic horn. They cause problems and do absolutely no good. Just use a regular wax ring.