Inset cabinet in outside wall?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Bosun, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Bosun

Bosun New Member

I am remodeling a 1924 bathroom in Minnesota. The current cabinet is a wall-hung 1960s beauty. Wife would like a classic style inset cabinet. I have taken down the lath+plaster, so it would be easy to frame it in. Obviously, there will be no insulation behind the cabinet--just the exterior sheathing. Is the stuff in the cabinet going to freeze? Should I just try to do a mirror or something like that?
  2. Agu

Agu New Member

Having lived in the frozen northland I can assure you that not only will your toiletries freeze in the winter, but they'll bake in the summer. Exterior walls in Minnesota need insulation.

If the Mrs insists, I'd recommend insulating and sheetrocking the wall and then putting up a second wall to accomodate the inset cabinet as already recommended. You don't have to do the whole bathroom that way, just an alcove for the sink/cabinet area. While you're at it you could put in inset shelving and fancy recessed lighting in the false wall beside or above the inset cabinet

It's a lot of extra work but if the Mrs isn't happy ................. I'm glad you're the one who'll have to put up with her.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

You are in Minnesota! Unless you have no concern for your heating bill and an uncomfortably cold room, outside walls need to be insulated!

If you must have an inset cabinet and there are no other barriers to it, frame up another wall on the inside of the insulated wall for the cabinet.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Will stuff freeze? Do ducks swim? Without insulation behind it, without any heat in the cabinet, AND a door to minimize the amount of room heat into the cabinet, the only things that will not freeze are the ones with alcohol in them. At the very least everything is going to be COLD when you take it out of the cabinet.