inline filter

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by piecho, Dec 22, 2011.

1. piecho

piecho New Member

I have discolored water and want to put an inline filter before the pressure tank which the manfacturer frowns on. The physical layout doesn't allow me to install as they insist on installation instructions. My water recently is yellow brown color. I tested for common minerals including iron, all negative. The particulates are not organic and seemly not harmful. Casing 30', pump at 25' and water level 6' above pump.
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The existing piping can be re-routed to allow for a whole house filter, which should only be installed in the line downstream of the pressure tank.

A cartridge filter will do little to remove discoloration, and often leads to more problems than it resolves.
  3. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

I have three filters before my pressure tank without any issues. Except a cleaner tank. Add a pressure relief vale before the filters.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Ja, but are they fine enough to remove discolouration?

I have a single 100 mesh SS Banjo filter between the pump and the micronizer. It would do nothing to remove discolouration.
  5. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

this well seems to pump clay, perhaps some iron. I use 2 20's then takeit thru a 1 or a 5 and this gives pretty good water. Since its on a plain tank, the filters see NO pressure when the pump is off. I find it rather innovative. My snifter and drain valve are right there by the filters, not in the well which I find absurd.

And with a 90 psi relief valve in front of the filters, when you see a shower in that area, you know the filters are plugged.