indoor plumbing with no crawlspace

Users who are viewing this thread

JustJo

Reaction score
I am turning a garage/workshop into a small apartment. All is going well except when it comes time to do plumbing. The bathroom is no problem since it faces the outside wall closest to sewer lines and I raised the bathroom 3 feet as well. But, I have no crawlspace or basement to work the water lines into the kitchen.
Is it safe to run the lines around the interior walls to the kitchen? I have no problem setting them inside removable baseboards, as long as it's safe to do so.
Also, should these be copper lines or galvanized?
Thanks, Jo

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would get rid of the raised floor idea and break the slab for the waste line. As far as supply lines they can be routed through walls or attics although in climates where freezing could be a problem attics and outside walls should be avoided. Copper, CPVC, or, PEX is the materials for supply lines, not galvanized!

JustJo

Reaction score
well the bathroom is already raised so I can meet 1/4"/ft. Can I ask why raising the bathroom is something you wouldn't do?
Also, thanks for the info. You were right on the galvanized, I knew that..really.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
well the bathroom is already raised so I can meet 1/4"/ft. Can I ask why raising the bathroom is something you wouldn't do?
Also, thanks for the info. You were right on the galvanized, I knew that..really.
I don't care for a raised floor. I think it looks a little tacky and when it rots it becomes a big mess. When not if somethings leeks it goes under the floor and can't be seen till it becomes a real big problem.

Construct30

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the raised floor if you used treated lumber. Leaks under concrete are not good in plumbing either, don't have leaks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
To be very blunt, raising a floor is the sign of a real hack plumbing job. It takes a bit of effort and/or expense to break or cut the concrete to put the drain in properly, but it is worth it. Did you really mean you raised the floor 3 feet? Unless you have an extremely high ceiling, you'd better be very short. Galvanized pipe is 50 years behind times. Copper is the preferred pipe by most plumbers. There's no reason you can't run the pipe as you say. Consider redoing the raised floor.

Construct30

Reaction score
Just for a plumbing job yes, but for a remodel, to insulate and put vapor barrier down no. It is commonly done. Putting a tile floor on top of concrete with no insulation under it is cold and damp in a bathroom. It is also many times way more cost effective.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks