Indirect Hot water is Yellow

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
Tub filled up with a yellow tint. I have a 3 zone hydronic system. 2 heating zones and 1 indirect HW zone. The cold water is crystal clear.

Superstor Indirect HW tank.

I drained the tank fully. I flushed the bottom a few times. (shot some fresh water through it while drain was open)

I then filled it. It was now very yellow. I am sure I disturbed any material inside.

1- what is the yellow?
2- Is it a lost cause? Go new system? Or still life in it?

I will continue to flush for a while and see what happens.

And no I think the coil is still intact. Else, I would expect the boiler water pressure to spike due to city pressure entering the system.

Would appreciate your comments.

Reach4

Reaction score
I then filled it. It was now very yellow. I am sure I disturbed any material inside.

1- what is the yellow?
2- Is it a lost cause? Go new system? Or still life in it?
a. Is there an anode?
b. If so, is it a powered anode?

It is possible for a powered anode to fail in a way that makes the anode the opposite of the correct potential. That will drive iron from the steel into the water, and turn it yellow.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Superstor (now called HTP) has a lifetime warranty. It does not cover installation and removal, only the cost of the tank. Most of them are SS, so no anode. The Superstor had some issues that HTP was supposed to have fixed, but I do not have much exposure to them in bulk. I had a Superstor that failed, and they replaced it with the HTP which has worked fine...at the time, the labor to remove and install the new one was about $300, so a small fraction of a new tank. Rust could be from a breakdown of the heating coil and it could be leaking into the tank, but because of the differences in pressure, water more often tends to go from the potable water into the boiler, causing the pressure to rise in your boiler circuit. Have you had the pressure relief valve on your boiler venting water? Did they use any galvanized nipples verses brass when making the connections on the potable water side?

Rockycmt

Reaction score
ty for this reply. I have flushed as much as I could from the potable side. Rather clear now. But I am sure the problem still exists. All connections are copper and brass. No galvanized piping. No pressure spikes on boiler side so I feel the coil is still intact. No pressure relief is happening on boiler or tank. Should I reach out to HTP with this issue? Do they need to send a rep out to confirm my problem?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When I noticed a leak, I called my installer, and they took care of it. Some places won't deal with a homeowner directly. Wouldn't hurt to call them, but I do not have a clue of the best practice. Have you read the fine print in the manual? If you don't have a copy, it's probably available on their website.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks