India. Plumbing Fixtures, Water and Sewer in India

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plumbing in India with so many people has it's challenges. A vast portion is farm land, and then there are the tightly packed cities. Mumbai for example has 20.5 million people. My last day in India was in Mumbai, and unlike the memory in my head of the movie Slumdog Millionaire, it was more like Seattle. It is on the coast and has a central bay with parks and walkways around it. In the evening you will find young people out meeting friends, and couples. In parts there is a strong English and French look about the city, and then many high rises too. A lot of the washing is done by hand. Electrical rates are high, and hotels and hospitals have their wash done by hand and then air dried. The owner of the electric utility in Mumbai once lived in a high rise devoted to him and three others with a staff of 600. The building now is mainly vacant as he decided to live elsewhere.
Other times, we saw men and women using the side of the road, or the open sewer ditches along many of the roads. A good reason to have a dress on if you're a woman. Paper on rolls can be hard to find in public bathrooms. It's a good idea to bring 10 RP in to pay the attendant. You may often find a bidet spray, as there are quite a few Moslem in the country.
I did not get a chance to see much but the better places. We stayed at five star hotels and lunches were arranged by our private driver in between towns. They were hand picked places to eat.

india_sewer_1215.jpg

An open ditch to carry sewer waste along the side of the road.

india_sewer_1214.jpg

In this case, they were doing business above it.

india_toilet_4139.jpg

In this case, you have the faucet to the right and a drain below it.

india_toilet_4174.jpg

This was in a five star hotel.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
india_toilet_4163.jpg

Notice the discharge closer to the wall than in the US

india_toilet_4166.jpg

india_well_4147.jpg

This used to be where they got water. It's now gated off, but it was steps down to a well.

india_1473.jpg

We saw a lot of the hand pumps

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
india_1487.jpg

All day long we saw this. That's a common sewer ditch that he's using.

india_1817.jpg

1/2" galvanized water lines on the ground or on the sides of buildings for water.

india_4256.jpg

More water supplies and a pump going somewhere?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
india_4264.jpg

Sewer ditch on the side of the road.

india_rich_4328.jpg

The tall building in the right-center was a personal residence for the owner of the electrical utility in Mumbai. The taller one with the decks. That tall building was for a family of four and 600 servants.

india_0183.jpg

Food prep

india_4228.jpg

Pump stations for sewer in the pink towers.

Last edited:

ChrisNJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the tour! Makes you really appreciate what we have over here. What brought you to India?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tour! Makes you really appreciate what we have over here. What brought you to India?
I say they must use a lot of Imodium there, or have built up a tolerance to the exposure. lave los manos, por favor!:eek:

Cookie

Reaction score
Bob, you mentioned seeing a cat in one of your posts? I saw it, too... like he was hung out to dry, not good... :(

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Bob, you mentioned seeing a cat in one of your posts? I saw it, too... like he was hung out to dry, not good... :(
No Cookie, that wasn't me; that post was by another member and it was in Terry's Electrical in India thread. I did not see it until it was pointed out. Yuck. Maybe they are making cat Jerkey.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
india_1525.jpg

A nice bucket of water

india_3502.jpg

We saw these water tanks all over on top of buildings.

india_3590.jpg

The goat is walking along the sewer ditch.

india_3669.jpg

This is an old bathroom. The corner of the room is usded and then it's washed into the hole in the wall and there is a big open room for waster back there.

india_3684.jpg

An newer toilet

india_3694.jpg

Even newer toilet

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Doesn't look like much has changed since I was over there in the early 80's and I imagine the pervasive smell is still there too. Took several days after leaving Delhi for the stench to get out of my nose.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks