Increasing Water Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have a customer with low water pressure and was wondering if any one could recommend a pump that works well to increase the pressure...city water not a well...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would recommend a good jet pump. The size depends on the amount of flow you need. Then I would control it with a Pside-kick, like the one in the attached picture.

Attachments

• pside-kick cropped.jpg
    pside-kick cropped.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 916

ShannonT

Reaction score
City Water

What do you need the extra pressure for?

Is it possible the pressure is available but something is blocking it from the residence? Have you verified with the city what the available pressure is?

Is there a malfunctioning pressure reducing valve? How about a backflow preventer

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Any good quality atmospheric storage tank and then a good quality jet or submersible pump to repressurize water from the storage tank. Either type pump should have a low water shut off so you don't burn up the pump if the city fails to supply enough water to keep up with demand from the storage tank.

ofblong

Journeyman Industrial Mechanic, Electrical Apprent
Reaction score
Or it could be like my house was before I installed PEX. 3/4" steal to 3/4" PVC to 1/2 pvc to 3/4" copper to 1/2 pvc to 3/4" copper. thats just on the cold water line. hot water line was same way. I removed most of the pvc and copper then ran 3/4" PEX upto everything and then reduced the lines at each fixture. Yes the 3/4" steal is still there. When I have to replace that it will be time to call a professional. The steal was installed in 1909 (according to the city records). In 2003 the city removed all the steal upto "their" connection with copper. So from there shut off to inside my house is about 20 feet of steal thats 100 years old. So maybe there is some sort of piping like that thats most likely corroded to the point that its restricting flow?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You may not need a cistern if the volume of water from the city is adequate. Check your gallons per minute with a valve wide open. If you can get 10 GPM or so, then all you need to do is boost the pressure. Then a jet pump with the Pside-kick controls is all you need. The Amtrol pressureizer would work much better and not be cycling on and off it had a Cycle Stop Valve included. I have explained this to Amtrol but, they had rather the system cycle on and off so they can sell you a larger pressure tank, and get to replace the system more often.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks