Increase diameter to eliminate flow noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
Ugh, water flow noise!

We have a 1" copper supply line that enters the house and runs across a bedroom ceiling. It has four 90° turns then disappears through the wall to the next room.

The pipe is suspended by the orange and blue neoprene isolators. The elbows are wrapped in foam insulation. The entire pipe has a layer of R13 insulation covering it. And lastly, the drywall is suspended from RC (resilient channel).

Yet any high water flow -- backyard spigot open, washing machine filling -- results in a peace-disturbing reverberation.

Because the pipe is hung below the joists, not running through them, I could very easily convert it to 1¼ or 1½ pipe, just in this one bedroom (and maybe the next).

Would this be with my effort? Would it eliminate the noise in the bedroom? Thanks for any and all advice / suggestions.

Flapper

Reaction score
I think PEX should completely eliminate any noise, if no fittings are used in that area.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Copper Institute calls for a maximum flow rate in copper tubing of 8fps for cold water (5fps for hot). Do you know the flow rate when you have those noises? The pressure in the lines can make a difference, too. It should not exceed 80psi. A defective pressure reduction valve can make some noises, and if you're close to the pumping station or auxiliary pump, it may be pulsing, creating a harmonic or resonance. Does the water seem to pulse at the point of use slightly, or is it very steady (might notice it at a shower head easier).

Speede541

Reaction score
A quick bucket fill test & calcs says I'm flowing at 5.5 ft/sec through the 1" line, but I can tell you that my static pressure is 100 PSI, and I have no pressure regulator installed.

That's with the backyard faucet wide open. It's not noisy with a toilet refill, but noticeable when filling the washing machine.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A quick bucket fill test & calcs says I'm flowing at 5.5 ft/sec through the 1" line, but I can tell you that my static pressure is 100 PSI, and I have no pressure regulator installed.

That's with the backyard faucet wide open. It's not noisy with a toilet refill, but noticeable when filling the washing machine.

You may want to close the washer valves down a bit then so that if fills slower.

Reach4

Reaction score
1-1/2 pipe has over twice the area of 1 inch. That would reduce the turbulence in the pipe and noise produced in the pipe a lot. I don't know if noise is produced elsewhere and just transmitted by the pipe. My thought is that the big pipe would make a big improvement.

Speede541

Reaction score
Reach, that's my concern: even if I address the issue in this room, at the point where it reduces back to 1", will that noise be carried back to the larger diameter pipe?

PEX is a possibility, though my city wasn't allowing it at the time this line was installed about 5 years ago. I'll check into that, but copper would be my preference just for consistency.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
First thing I'd do is resolve the high water pressure...in a residential setting, it should not exceed 80psi. That alone might solve the issue.

Speede541

Reaction score
Roger that. Got a Wilkins 34-70XLDUC picked out. Do you have a preferable brand or model?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Roger that. Got a Wilkins 34-70XLDUC picked out. Do you have a preferable brand or model?
Not a pro...defer to them on what brands tend to be more reliable. A search will probably turn that up in the forum.

Flapper

Reaction score
One possibility is that one or more of the solder joints has been flooded with solder causing a restriction of flow causing the noise.

Speede541

Reaction score
Thought I should follow up in case anyone stumbles upon this thread, and mention that I took the offered advice and finally installed a Wilkins 70XLDUC. It took the pressure down from 110 to 65. Much quieter in the bedroom ceiling now, probably silent once the drywall is up. Thanks as usual for the solid advice.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks