Inconsistent pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Burgess

Reaction score
Hello There!
I’m a HUGE pump rookie with a problem.
I have a ½ horse pump in the lake to supply an ordinary residential yard sprinkler. The pump has a 3-gallon pressure tank. The pump will kick in about 3 seconds after the sprinkler starts up and will run for about 5 to 12 seconds, depending on the how much I have adjusted the two nylon nuts on the pressure switch springs.
The pump will shut off for 10 to 20 seconds, also depending on how much I have adjusted the pressure switch. During these 10 to 20 seconds, the pressure falls almost to the point where the sprinkler stops moving. The pump then starts up again (for 5 to 12 seconds) and the sprinkler runs well. This cycle repeats constantly for the 30 minutes that the timer is on.
How do I get a more consistent pressure? (There is no pressure gauge)
Thanks for your help!
Sincerely, Mike Burgess

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Several ways to solve this problem.

First if the pump is only used with the irrigation timer, do away with the pressure tank and wire around the pressure switch. Use the pump start relay in the sprinkler timer to start and stop the pump. This will not work if you use water with garden hoses or anywhere except the sprinkler zones.

Second, simply use more water when irrigating. If you match the size of the sprinkler zones to the pump, there is no excess water left to fill the tank and cause the cycling.

Third, you can install a Cycle Stop Valve before the pressure tank and pressure switch. This will keep the pump from cycling even when using as little as 1 GPM. The CSV makes the output of the pump match the amount of water being used, so there is no cycling. Then the sprinkler zones can be matched to the yard, not the pump.

Brett W

Reaction score
sounds like your pressure switch is set wrong. adjust the nuts on it to get a higher low end pressure. not sure if that is the short or long one inside the switch.
Does this sound right to others or am I way off?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks