In tank bown cleaners

Users who are viewing this thread

Kevink1955

Reaction score
I know that many do not like in tank cleaners as they damage most flapper valves in less than 2 years, that being said and assuming I will replace the flapper when needed I have a question.

Has anyone ever had any problem with the cleaners decomposing or making the plastic fill valve or it's parts brittle. I had someone tell me that they had a fill valve crack off just inside the tank resulting in full flow of water that the overflow could not handle resulting in a flood.

At work I have seen that some chemicals cause plastics to decompose or become brittle, am I overthinking this?

I do not want to flood the house for the sake of a clean bowl

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you know the answer to this and are just hoping someone will OK using some chemical in the tank. That just ain't gonna happen! How "clean" do you think the bowl has to be? If you feel that just looking clean isn't satisfactory, then use a liquid bowl cleaner and brush occasionally, but keep the chemicals out of the tank.

SamC

Reaction score
There are a couple of products that add bowl cleaning chemicals to the water that goes down the overflow to refill the bowl. One of those might solve your problem without the damage to tank parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks